Primer problems

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Malcolm Hill

#16 Postby Malcolm Hill » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:39 am

Barry T
It looks like most people have covered the area of the primer pocket fairly well as to your problems. As for the missfires you mentioned that the cases were second hand. If they have been fired in another rifle with tight headspace and yours has more headspace then the cases may be moving forward on firing causing the primers to not be struck deep enough by the firing pin. It would pay to check the rifles headspace with those particular cases and also check firing pin protrusion and spring condition. If the bolt is easily dismantled check that the pin moves freely for its total travel and does not bind up in the bolt causing problems due to insufficient striking force. I don't think you mentioned what type of action you have and this can also be of assistance for others to help with such problems.
Regards Malcolm.

ned kelly

#17 Postby ned kelly » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:05 am

G'Day All,
to add to this, I use a Sinclair international priming tool. I has SUPERB feel and even with hard to seat primers, you can always feel them seat the anvil against the bottom of the pocket. Buy different heads for each case you use i.e. one for .223/ppc/308/magnum etc for a quick change of calibres.

I've used this tool for years and 10's of thousand or rounds and never had a miss fire due to primers even if some have been seated lower than normal. I have never liked seeing the primer sitting proud and liked them just below flush. Even if I have to cut the pockets deeper (see warning in previous post above).

hope this helps

Cheerio Ned

Barry T

#18 Postby Barry T » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:33 pm

Hello :D to very body who replied to my primer problem, i would like to thank you all for your info.i have now soaked the bolt in petrol for one day and i have found some black grim(soot) in the bottom of the container.
i have also chamfered the primer pockets, and now the rem and cci primers are not too hard to seat, but firm.
i will know this weekend (sunday) if the problem is solved,lets hope so , and is that easy.let hope so. so thanks again,this is the best forum for shooters. from barry t

Grant

#19 Postby Grant » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:43 am

Just a final little bit I read that you are using the Lee Perfect primer hand tool just remember that this particular tool is designed to be use ONE handed, I have heard of others suffering a similar problem to yours and when questioned they all admitted that as the primer was a bit hard to seat they used two hands to seat the primer (and crushing the primer)
I myself use CCI large primers in ADI cases (7.62*51mm cases) and after removing the adi crimp ring (is used to stop the primer from moving when cartridges are carried in the field (combat troops)) I find that the primers are firm to fit but Do go in using a one handed operation.
hope this helps a little bit
if it is ferel shoot it

Barry T

#20 Postby Barry T » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:14 pm

Hello :D again to every one who replied to my problem,on sunday i only had one primer that did not go off, which is a big plus for me out of thirty rounds .my father and i loaded 15 in the lee hand loader and 15 in the lyman press,all with cci primers in winchester cases and 10 lapua case with the press. 45 in total with only one fail to bang.after reading and following every ones very good advice,i beleive i was over cleaning the primer pockets, which made them deeper and i was heavy handed on the primer tool :oops: i am only using the press from now on. i seem to have better control on the setting. so thank you all again :D .

from barry t 8)

Grant

#21 Postby Grant » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:43 am

Barry T
Glad that our input helped you to solve your problem
if it is ferel shoot it

Return to “Equipment & Technical”