TMac/Central Rearsightsights question

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Robert Chombart

TMac/Central Rearsightsights question

#1 Postby Robert Chombart » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:15 am

Hi, all.

Is it possible to know what is the offset of the TMac/Central Reatsights?

The offset I ask is the horizontal dimension from the peerhole to the face of the part where it bears against the bracket of the action. Of course, this is to be measured when the windage carriage is situted in its Zero positon, in the middle of the slide.

Altrtnatively, the dimension from the centre of the action to the external face of the bracket, although this measurement can be less accurate, as there could be variations from a combination action/bracket to an other brand.

Thanks in anticipation

R.G.C
R.G.C.

Chopper

#2 Postby Chopper » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:20 pm

Hi Robert , youre question could have many answers , is there any action/sight/bracket combination you need measurements from ?, then you will get youre answers , from many i guess, regards Paul.

Robert Chombart

#3 Postby Robert Chombart » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:11 pm

Chopper wrote:Hi Robert , youre question could have many answers , is there any action/sight/bracket combination you need measurements from ?, then you will get youre answers , from many i guess, regards Paul.

Paul,

The question is on the sight, not the interface.

To plan a correct interface for actions, the INCh particularily in my actual case, I need to know EXACTLY what are the rearsight mannufacturing dimensions, hence the specificity of my question..

Nothing looks more ugly than too many poorly designed interfaces are made, resulting in more windage travel one direction than the other. A sight MUST BE central on windage slide when on zero. This is beaatifully achieved when the sight fitting is on the same vertical plane as the zero windage (top mounting) but, when the fitting is offset, it is necessary to know this offset to create the correct interface...

I would not like to see my mark on an action whose rearsight would not be truly centered, hence the demand.

Sincerely yours
R.G.C
R.G.C.

Chopper

#4 Postby Chopper » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:53 pm

New rear sights seem to be getting harder to get here in oz from what i can gather also there seems to be quite a few needing repairs,i would think there are a lot of second hand sights around but not many to repair them , are the inch action sight plates going to be for Tmac/central only?, regards Paul.

Robert Chombart

#5 Postby Robert Chombart » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:06 pm

Chopper wrote:New rear sights seem to be getting harder to get here in oz from what i can gather also there seems to be quite a few needing repairs,i would think there are a lot of second hand sights around but not many to repair them , are the inch action sight plates going to be for Tmac/central only?, regards Paul.

Paul,

There are still many of those in use in OZ, and elsewhere too.

There will be an interface specific to this sight, as well as for other side mounts such as RPAs and Redfields...

But a typoial feature of the CG, including RPAs and Milleniums, is the integrated top doveail...And using this one eliminates:
1°) The interface
2°) The ofsset problem.
and is positionable precisely at the required position (no stpe settings)

But, I still do not knwo what is the offset of those sights!!!

Sincerely
R.G.C
R.G.C.

Aubrey

#6 Postby Aubrey » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi Robert

I have a Centra LR rear sight with a Central mount on a Barnard - it's way off centre - very irritating!

I'm guessing that there is a dimensional difference between the original Central and the newer TMac and hence the mounting block is offset - this would mean that the Centra had no chance of being in the middle.

I'll have to live with it and hope I don't ever need more than 23min of wind from the left!
Aubrey Sonnenberg
Concord RC, Sydney
Accurise: Aim for Accuracy!

Robert Chombart

#7 Postby Robert Chombart » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:47 pm

Aubrey wrote:Hi Robert

I have a Centra LR rear sight with a Central mount on a Barnard - it's way off centre - very irritating!

I'm guessing that there is a dimensional difference between the original Central and the newer TMac and hence the mounting block is offset - this would mean that the Centra had no chance of being in the middle.

I'll have to live with it and hope I don't ever need more than 23min of wind from the left!

Aubrey,

The sight base bloc was designed to be centered with the Millenium bracket with an offset of 28mm which I understand, is also the standard for most TMac fittings on polular OZ actions.

If an action manufacturer does not follow the standard, and develop his own offset, the interchangeability becomes something difficult to follow, and the solution is either to develop one more base bloc for the sight, or have the action manufacturer supply a bracket conform to the average admitted dimension.

The only way to NEVER have offset problems is to use the central fitting (Anschutz or Weaver/Piatiby) there, at least, there will NEVER be offset problems!!!.

From what you say, there is about 6 minutes of inufficient offset. This represent a little more than 1mm. Is it not possible to shim the bracket?

R.G.C
R.G.C.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”