Magnification

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Brad Y

Magnification

#1 Postby Brad Y » Mon May 10, 2010 11:23 pm

Is a 24 power scope going to be limiting at all? Still thinking about a new scope for the F Open rig as its a switchbarrel varminter setup so it sort of needs something usable for both. Ive already got high burris signature Z rings in 30mm so I might as well stay with them. Thinking a sightron might be an option.

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Tue May 11, 2010 7:39 am

Brad,

If you're talking fixed 24 power then clearly it is limiting, and I would suggest a variable at least initially. Once you've used the scope for a year or two and tried different magnifications in various conditions, then you may decide that a fixed power suits your own personal situation better. In my experience, the eye-brain physiology differs between individuals, and while some say the higher the magnification the better in any conditions, others prefer the option of magnification as low as 10X particularly in heavy mirage. And reticule preferences for F-Class vary too. Whatever you do, get a good quality scope from the outset (e.g. Sightron). Life is too short to waste months of good shooting time finding out that for anything optical, you usually get what you pay for.

Alan

Woody_rod

#3 Postby Woody_rod » Tue May 11, 2010 10:00 am

True enough Alan.

If you use the 30mm rings, that will cut out some models of scope, due to different tube sizes.

Most people, from what I have seen, often use too high a scope power for hunting. Often, on the range, people also use too high a scope power for target shooting.

That being said, it is handy to use 42 power or whatever when conditions are good on the range, which is why scopes like the Nightforce are popular. No reason the Sightron will not work as you hope.

RDavies

#4 Postby RDavies » Wed May 12, 2010 8:37 am

I dont suppose it will be a fixed power will it? Fixed power is OK for the range, but not real handy trying to find a bunny in a field with a fixed 24x scope. If it is a 6-24X, it will be good for both. As Alan said, some top shooters shoot with their scopes wound down to 16x when mirage is up, others wind it up high. My new scope is a 6-24x.
I think the most important thing is to adjust your burris offset rings so that at 100yds (or even 300yds), your scope is a few moa off the bottom of its elevaton adjustment range, then you will be able to adjust up to long range and return to bottom (zero) reliably.

timothi3197

#5 Postby timothi3197 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:18 am

My main hunting scopes are only 3-9 x 40 and 4 x 40, this serves me well and the variable one spends most of it's time on 3. I do have a 6 x 40 floating around as well but it is awkward close up.

I do have a 6-24 x 44 on my old target rifle and that is good, probably better some days than my fixed 36 x as mirage can be a problem at times but I rarely shoot at more than 600m either.

If I had my time again I would buy a 8-32 x scope for the target rifle and a 1.5-7x for hunting, but that is just me.

I don't think any one scope will do everything but a 6-24 would be the best hunting/range compromise.

macguru

#6 Postby macguru » Fri May 21, 2010 10:48 pm

I have a Leupold 8.5-25 LRT for F standard. Its fine but i really would not anything less for aiming in the V bull at 300-800. I use it between about 18-22 power sometimes 25 so yes a 6-24 will fill the bill, but i dont think i would be happy with much less.

Woody_rod

#7 Postby Woody_rod » Sat May 22, 2010 12:30 pm

Just adding to the convo:

Last weekend we shot in the Northern Wheatbelt here in WA. At one stage at 800 yards, I could not see any rings on the target at all due to the heavy mirage, just a blurry blob for the aiming mark....this was with T24 Weaver. If could have dialled the scope back to maybe 16 power, would have been better.

Matt P

#8 Postby Matt P » Sun May 23, 2010 11:47 am

Woody_rod wrote:Just adding to the convo:

Last weekend we shot in the Northern Wheatbelt here in WA. At one stage at 800 yards, I could not see any rings on the target at all due to the heavy mirage, just a blurry blob for the aiming mark....this was with T24 Weaver. If could have dialled the scope back to maybe 16 power, would have been better.

Rod
What you see has more to do with glass quality than power, the mirage is there no matter what power you shoot on it's the quality of glass that makes the difference. Weaver have very good mechanicals but the glass can be very hit and miss. I've had several scopes over the years including a T36, N/F 8-32, Tascos, Leupolds and now March, now with all the previous scopes I've always shot them on 22-24, except the T36( trustworthy adjustments but poor optics I could see more with the Leupolod 24BR) but with the March I can shoot on 40 power even in heavy mirage and see the lines.
Matt P

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Sun May 23, 2010 12:50 pm

Matt,

Having never used a March, while I understand what you're saying, its hard to judge the benefits without experiencing them. I always say that scope choice is a very individual thing, but what I will say as a generalisation is that in F-Class, there's an over-emphasis on high magnification. In my opinion a good clear 15X scope with a reasonably fine cross-hair would be at little if any disadvantage with the ranges and targets we shoot. A 50X scope might be able to resolve to about 1/100th of a MOA in good conditions at 1000yds, but thats about 50 times better than the accuracy that most shooters can achieve due to all the other factors. I can see the reason for high magnification when you need to see bullet holes, but in F-Class, that's not an advantage in competition. If I was choosing a scope for F-Class only, I would rank the buying points in the following order of importance 1. Reliable mechanicals 2. Clear optics 3. Large vert adjustment range 4. Suitable reticule 5. High magnification 6. Good looks :D .

Alan

Matt P

#10 Postby Matt P » Sun May 23, 2010 1:36 pm

Alan
I'm not saying you need high a high powered scope to be competitive, what I was trying say that mirage is alway there and it's the glass quality that restricts how much power you can use.
Next time your're at the range try this for me, on the highest power you have aim at the junction of the 9 and ten ring, then turn down to 10-15 power. Can you aim as precisly as you could at the high power ???Now that lost point just outside the 10 was that due to conditions or your point of aim ???
BTW,I beleive 24 power is about perfect for both FS and FO but if I can have more and be able to use it I'll take it.

Matt P

AlanF

#11 Postby AlanF » Sun May 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Matt,

Yes I agree every little bit of advantage helps over the course of a Queens. Particularly for me actually because I've had a few close ones :D . Some shooters claim they can actually interpret mirage better at high magnification - this definitely doesn't work for me - I like to look at mirage as a general impression over a wide field of view.

Alan

Return to “Equipment & Technical”