Neck turning

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

flatlina

Neck turning

#1 Postby flatlina » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:17 am

Had a look in the rules but couldn't find if it is OK to neck turn cases for FS. I'm using Lapua cases and was thinking of giving them a skim over the neck.

Regards
john

Fireman_DJ

#2 Postby Fireman_DJ » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:23 am

Do the rules say you CAN'T neck turn?
As I understand, the only restrictions for F-Std is use an approved pill and use an approved powder. Case, primer and any prep work, like trimming the case, turning necks and moly coating is up to the individual shooter.

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:59 am

Rule 3.1.1.1 says "Rifles chambered for use with the unmodified 7.62mm NATO ..... cartridges are approved in all open competitions." So it might be okay to turn your case necks, but if you use a tight neck in the chamber, you might run into trouble.

Alan

flatlina

#4 Postby flatlina » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:43 pm

I have a Savage .308 with a standard chamber so all I'm asking is it OK to skim the necks? If I do this I will need to order a different bushing for the die.

Regards
john

Barry Davies

#5 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:51 am

Neck turning for TR and FS has never been an issue ever since handloading came into being. The fact that SSR's don't give it a mention does'nt mean anything. The issue of tight chambers is another thing.
OK to neckturn.
Tight chambers -- debatable.
Barry

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:36 am

John,

There's no rule saying you can't modify brass so you'll be okay with turned necks.

Alan

TOM

#7 Postby TOM » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:39 am

One should be careful with what the rules dont say, in a few cases if the good book dont say you can then you cannot.

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:27 pm

This thread drifted off topic - see here : http://ozfclass.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3479

Razer

#9 Postby Razer » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:10 pm

I was shooting at the NSW C of C's about 5 years ago.
A hand reached down and took a loaded round from my ammo box,dropped it in a zip-lock plastic bag with my name written on it.
I was given the bag next day with the case, projectile and powder, disassembled.
Every other shooter on the mound also had a round taken at the same time.
This only needs to happen at random events, and the rules regarding what is/is not allowed would be self enforced.
It is not hard to pull the projectile and check it, and the propellant, to ascertain whether they conform or not.
If these key ingredients and specs are okay, that is the standard.
The case can easily be checked by inserting it in a specifically correct chamber cut from a worn barrel.
Neck turning is another part of 'hand loading',( which is allowable).
There are no rulings regarding brass weight, case length,chamfering, etc.

If the case can be inserted [chambers] in the dummy chamber[as above] then it is meeting the criteria as set out in the rule book.

I do believe that more random ammo checks need to be done, not single shooters as with trigger/rifle weight, but, every one on the mound/section of, at the same time.
My apologies Alan, had this drafted ready to paste. It does cover neck turning though. :wink:

Return to “Equipment & Technical”