Ladder v's OCW

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

flatlina

Ladder v's OCW

#1 Postby flatlina » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:24 am

What are your thoughts on these two testing types. I've reloaded for 45+ years but mainly for hunting and shorter range comps. It seems from what is said on here that the smallest elevation variations are the best for this type of shooting. What testing does everyone use to develop a load for long range shooting.
I have a 500 m Range outside my door so can test at any distance up to that and the 1100 metre range is just up the road.
I'm not a serious F Class shoter, using my two Savages. One is a .223 with 26" barrel and the other is a .308 with a 24" barrel.

Regards
john

bruce moulds

#2 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:08 pm

john,
first let me say that i think you mean 3 shot groups with increasing powder charges when you say ocw.
both ocw and ladders are equally useful.
to shoot ladders you need someone to pull the target and number the shots, or have a camera to video the target as shooting occurs.
in my case i prefer ladders due to less ammo use, but am happy to use ocw should there be noone to help with the target.
ocw is really a ladder test with multi aiming marks, but also could demonstrate a grouping trend.
both methods work well at ranges of 400 or 500, because it spreads things out thus making nodes more obvious.
all both methods do is put you near a starting point. they are not a final answer.
even 20 shot groups are not a final answer, but that is a better end than just an ocw or a ladder.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Return to “Equipment & Technical”