bedding actions

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Savage

bedding actions

#1 Postby Savage » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:03 pm

G'day, I have heard tak and read on other forums about bedding the action,

why do people do this and what do you gain from doing this?

also wat is the process of doing this?

thanks.
Jay 8)

BATattack

#2 Postby BATattack » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:21 pm

there are probably beter ways of wording this but basically bedding gives the action even/consistant contact with the stock. if the area where the action contacts the stock is not even the action can be put under stress as the action screws are tighted or during recoil. ie flex the action. it would probably be THE first thing i would do to a factory rifle that i wanted the best accuracy from.

there are many different ways bedding can be done but i like to 'pillar" bed my rifles. have a look at this link. this is how i do mine with a few slight variations http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

Savage

#3 Postby Savage » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks for that BAT, after reading that I really don't think I will be trying to do that myself :shock:

thanks again.

Jay

Fireman_DJ

#4 Postby Fireman_DJ » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:14 am

As was said, there are other ways. And some are easier then pillar bedding as described by that site.

I wouldn't mind having a go at doing it to some of my rifles in the long term. But my Rem700 will get done by a professional if the new stock I get requires it.
One of the guys at our range will know a good local gunsmith (or maybe Seddo will know one as well) we can use (and maybe watch and learn from).

Brad Y

#5 Postby Brad Y » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:54 am

Just did a whidden V block in a new stock I have been making up. Was my first time at bedding. Used devcon steel putty and it has come up pretty good for my first go. Because the block sits lower than the action and I had the edges taped up as per whiddens instructions, I couldnt see the compound come up along the edges so today will be smoothing it off with a dremel and touching up a couple of tiny voids along the edge. All round the block, the compound has oozed up so thats a good thing- its obviously solid all the way. Im going to bed around the recoil lug to make sure there everything is solid in there.

Was a relief when I undid the action screws and everything came apart like it should!

Overall its a simple process as long as you take time to make sure everything is blocked up and coated with release agent, and you make sure there is plenty of compound in there.

Cameron Mc

#6 Postby Cameron Mc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:49 pm

This is a re post from another forum I posted a couple of years back. It's the way I bed and glue in my actions.

I have put together a BAT long range rifle.

I have had all the bits for around 8 months and finally got time to put it together.

I thought I would share some pics I took during the assembly.

BAT 3L action. 1.55" diameter x 8" long. Shown with pillars attached. I used pillars for this rifle because the bedding area is hollow on this stock.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Underneath action.

Action area inletted and prepared for bedding compound.

Preparing action before placing in stock. Masking and applying release agent.

Now assembled in the messy stuff. No return now.....cross fingers!

After compound cures, action is removed from stock and all the ragged edges around the bedding area are cleaned up.
Bolt slot is carefully cut, same with loading port and bolt release. Reassemble rifle and check all is ok. This action is going to be glued in so the trigger has to be able to be removed with no problems. Re check barrel channel for clearance. Once happy with the setup, preparation for glue in can take place. Use acetone on action and bedding to clean away release compound. I use 300 grit emery on the bedding to rough it a little, then some more acetone to clean as best as possible. Clean action again with acetone. Preparation before the glue in is critical. Put release agent on take down screws. Remove trigger. Remove barrel.
Apply very thin coat of glue to action and to the bedding area. Important to coat both surfaces. Now assemble and tighten action screws slowly, letting the excess glue squeeze out. Keep tightening screws slowly. Wipe away excess glue as it comes out. Once screws have pulled action down to where it should be check no glue is where it should not be. Now be patient and wait for glue to cure.
After about 24 hours I re install the barrel, trigger and scope.....then off to the range.

Finished rifle. Stock is a Kelbly 1M. I am not going to paint it. I like the as delivered gel coat finish, no paint chips to worry about. The barrel shown in pic is 6BR.

It shot good too, pity I sold it.
Cameron
:(

Norm

#7 Postby Norm » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:13 pm

There are lots of tricks to bedding a rifle stock. All stocks are different so you must have a look at how the action sits in the stock and come up with the best way that the action can be bedded without any induced stress.
The aim is to have the action remain in the same alignment with the barrel as it does when the barreled action is removed from the stock.
If the action is subjected to any twisting or bending as the action screws are tightened up then it is under stress and can be forced out of alignment with the barrel.
The action also needs to support the weight of the barrel and allow the barrel to move freely with each shot in a similar and consistent manner.
Here is a write up on a Grey bull stock that I have bedded with a Remmy action and another with a Tikka action and laminate stock.
http://www.austargets.com/greybull.htm
http://www.austargets.com/tikkabed.htm

Chopper

#8 Postby Chopper » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:28 pm

Nice job Cameron, some charge $200 plus but done correct worth every dollar, =D> , Chop.

Chopper

#9 Postby Chopper » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:31 pm

PS, Do you releave the back of the tang, ?.

Cameron Mc

#10 Postby Cameron Mc » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Chopper wrote:PS, Do you releave the back of the tang, ?.

Thanks Chop

No, the tang is glued, my theory on gluing is that all of the glued surface of the action takes a part in taking the recoil. The take down screws are only in for insurance, I just have them finger tight. I used a 280ai barrel in that rifle for a while and it went very good.

I went to 2 lug BAT actions and they headspace exactly the same as the 3 lug, so I was able to keep the barrels and sell the rest.

Cameron

Chopper

#11 Postby Chopper » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:12 pm

OK, how do you glue it and how do you release it ? and what glue ?, if you dont mind , :?: some would love to know ,Chop.

Cameron Mc

#12 Postby Cameron Mc » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:59 pm

Chopper wrote:OK, how do you glue it and how do you release it ? and what glue ?, if you dont mind , :?: some would love to know ,Chop.

Chop, after the entire action is conventionally bedded, I clean the action and stock bedding surface real good then put a light coat of normal 24hr Araldite on both the action and the stock bedding. Then slowly insert the action and finger tighten the action screws slowly to release air. I do this with the barrel removed as I reckon this takes away the stress a barrel places on an action, especially long heavy ones. Clean up excess araldite with a rag.
The important things to do are: have very clean action and bedding surfaces and coat both action and bedding surfaces with glue.
I have never had one come apart since my first glue-in, in 1992 :shock:

To remove action, place the wife's iron on the scope rail and have a timber wedge between the fore end and the barrel. After about 20-30 minutes slowly tap the wedge and the action should release. Patience is the key here.

I have only glued to fibreglass/composite and lamimated stocks.

Others may have different ways but that has worked for me.

Cameron

Chopper

#13 Postby Chopper » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:09 pm

What about trigger problems on the range ? I know you have an answer :lol: Chop.

AlanF

#14 Postby AlanF » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Chopper wrote:What about trigger problems on the range ? I know you have an answer :lol: Chop.

Aha - now I know why he had that iron on the mound. :lol: .

Chopper

#15 Postby Chopper » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:29 pm

I would say knock out pin holes for the trigger drilled in the stock , :wink: , Chop.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”