Harris Bipods

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Harris Bipods

#1 Postby AlanF » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Simon C wrote:...the gun shoots 1/4MOA elevation at 300m off a Harris bipod ...

Hmm - sounds like some people know how to use them. Can you tell us what surface you had under the feet Simon?

Alan
Last edited by AlanF on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Simon C

#2 Postby Simon C » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:54 pm

Marine carpet mat and a SEB rear bag. I have the targets from load development if you are suggesting I'm embelishing the truth Alan :D
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

Quick

#3 Postby Quick » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:03 pm

I use my shooting mat when on the range and just a rear bag, Carpet square when I'm doing bench work. The Atlas bipod is just superb to use, I think that we may see them being used more.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:27 pm

Simon C wrote:Marine carpet mat and a SEB rear bag. I have the targets from load development if you are suggesting I'm embelishing the truth Alan :D

Not at all Simon. I think the Harris style of bipod is better than some would have us believe. What exactly is marine carpet mat, and what type of mound surface were you covering with it?

Simon C

#5 Postby Simon C » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:34 pm

No probs - Marine carpet is the carpet u find in most boats. It is generally ribbed, thick and coarse nylon. I orientate the ribbing 'east/west' so the Harris feet locate in a 'valley' and load the bipod with gentle fwd shoulder pressure. Note also that mine is the swivelling type bipod.

The groups in question were shot on the mounds at MBRC (ie dirt/grass)

FWIW, I experimented with free recoil shooting & the Harris - I could not consistently get the same results using a known accurate load.

I actually prefer using the Harris over a pedistool rest. In the 2 SARA Queens I competed in, I was successful in both final day ranges (800m x4) and daily aggs using a Harris bipod in the method described above. It works well for me anyway.
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:55 pm

Simon C wrote:...FWIW, I experimented with free recoil shooting & the Harris - I could not consistently get the same results using a known accurate load...

That seems to be what most others are saying - with that sort of bipod, you need to hold firmly.

Thanks - good information for the F/TR people.

Alan

Norm

#7 Postby Norm » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:53 pm

+1 on the firm hold with a harris Bipod.

Just to see the difference, try and loosen off the stud locking screw that holds the bipod onto the stock forend. Then go out and shoot a few rounds with a soft hold on the rifle. You should see a large deteriation in your score.

Woody_rod

#8 Postby Woody_rod » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:06 pm

Simon C wrote:FWIW, I experimented with free recoil shooting & the Harris - I could not consistently get the same results using a known accurate load.

+ 3 on this. We have tried free recoil, it doesnt work.

bobeager

#9 Postby bobeager » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:10 am

Might find this article interesting on use of a Harris style bipod.

http://www.6mmbr.com/TacticalFroggyA1.html

AlanF

#10 Postby AlanF » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:23 am

bobeager wrote:Might find this article interesting on use of a Harris style bipod...

Certainly did - that's amazing, and very educational.

bobeager

#11 Postby bobeager » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:23 pm

Alan, I seem to remember reading a lot more on "Froggy" on the net some time back...might be worth a "google"...I believe he is regarded as the Guru of the "hard hold".

Fireman_DJ

#12 Postby Fireman_DJ » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:32 pm

When some people at the range say that a Remington 700 "just isn't up to the task" or will never be as accurate as a F-Class gun, I just remind myself that somewhere in the world is a guy who could kick their ass with a rifle that "isn't up to the task".

I also, unfortunately, remind myself that I really suck!

(Comment not directed at you Alan. As as nice a people they are, I can't wait to get the new stock and put a good shooter behind my rifle to prove it's accuracy)

TOM

#13 Postby TOM » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:01 pm

I dont remember anyone saying a REM 700 is not up to the task DJ, The conversation on this forum was along the lines of off the shelf hunters etc and their capabilities compared to that of custom target equipment.

A Remington 700 could be made into just that.

Savage

#14 Postby Savage » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Fireman_DJ wrote:When some people at the range say that a Remington 700 "just isn't up to the task" or will never be as accurate as a F-Class gun, I just remind myself that somewhere in the world is a guy who could kick their ass with a rifle that "isn't up to the task".

I also, unfortunately, remind myself that I really suck!

(Comment not directed at you Alan. As as nice a people they are, I can't wait to get the new stock and put a good shooter behind my rifle to prove it's accuracy)

mate how can you say u suck? first of you are still for all purposes(learning) also you are still experementing with loads and last but not least u r learning how to read the wind still, so nah I don't think you suck u r just learning eh.

but when you get the new stock I willll shoot it for you 8) 8) :) :)

Fireman_DJ

#15 Postby Fireman_DJ » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:22 pm

Not on this forum, a couple of people at the range have.

And Jay, I said I wanted a GOOD shooter, not a broken one!

It's all good and I guess even adults need hero's to look up to.
Froggy, who ever you are I hope to one day be as good as you.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”