Sierras

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

#16 Postby AlanF » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:35 pm

Barry Davies wrote:The reason it's not done here Alan is that the NRAA and State associations would then lose that captive market and the dollars that go with it.
I suppose they could increase membership fees to cover what they lose on projectiles.
Barry

Yes to both Barry. I'd like to know how it would affect the bottom line for NRAA and associations if it was opened up - maybe not much. Good shops are doing good business in all shooting supplies, and if they kept alert to which bullets shooters wanted, they might be surprised.

Alan

Barry Davies

#17 Postby Barry Davies » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:13 pm

I'm not against " opening up " the allowable projectiles,but I wonder about the cost. The " captive market " that now exists does have the effect of keeping costs down to some degree, ( maybe ) and, as some would argue, keeps the playing field " level "
The level playing field bit is speculative at best and is usually put up by those who manage to shoot tight groups with what is allowed and stiff cheese to those who cannot.
The " cost " bit is also speculative as I don't imagine that opening it up would mean that State Associations would need to carry every type of projectile made -- only the ones that work, and that might mean two or three more than we already have -- because nobody would want the ones that don't work, they would be replaced by those that do.
Those who want cheap projectiles and the questionable results that go with them really need some lessons in economics, however as long as the suppliers can make a dollar, cheap rubbish could be made available to those who want them.
I remember my days small bore shooting-- there were numerous manufacturers and numerous qualities of ammunition available. You selected what went with your aspirations and what your pocket would allow. Did'nt hear anyone bitching about level playing fields and the like, we just got on with it.
Barry

Seddo

#18 Postby Seddo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:11 am

If the state associations cant keep up supply i dont see how its far to have a rule that you must buy from them.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

jcinsa

#19 Postby jcinsa » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:25 am

I am sure that the concession given to a limited number of projectiles does help keep costs down.

However, I don't think that the NRAA manages these concessions as well as they might.

These concessions should be regarded as very valuable by the suppliers, to be requoted on periodically.

There should also be sanctions applied ( such as removal of the concession ) if a supplier is unable to supply projectiles consistantly.

Just continually increasing the list of approved projectiles to ensure supply for shooters, undermines the value of the concession, and also doesn't reward suppliers who perform well.

John
Argue with a fool, and all the casual observer will see is two fools arguing.

Barry Davies

#20 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:40 am

I wonder what would happen if suddenly all FS shooters decided to shoot FO ?
Barry

bartman007

#21 Postby bartman007 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:19 pm

I wonder what would happen if suddenly all FS shooters decided to shoot FO ?

That would be brilliant :-)

Maybe that's what has caused the shortage of projectiles. The F Open guy's buying up all the projectiles and melting them down for use as paper weights. Forcing the Standard guy's to come across to the DARK SIDE :evil:

Barry Davies

#22 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:33 pm

Ah Mike, you are a devious person! :lol:
Barry

AlanF

#23 Postby AlanF » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:52 pm

Mike,

What are you saying?!! You know the first thing that'll happen if we get an influx of F-Std is they'll bring in (drum roll, wait for it)..... GRADING :shock: :shock:

Alan

RMc

#24 Postby RMc » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Mike it is the only way you can get new people in FO

Barry Davies

#25 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Not hungry Alan--- but you did have a change of heart on targets. :lol:
Barry

bartman007

#26 Postby bartman007 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Hey Richard,

You still haven't seen the light then :-)

Won't be long and you'll throw that sling away :wink:

If you've been wondering where your projectiles are, YEP I've melted them down too.

Ready for Saturday's Pennant? I'll bring the tape to attach the scope to your rifle.

Cheers.

AlanF

#27 Postby AlanF » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:28 pm

Barry Davies wrote:--- but you did have a change of heart on targets. :lol:
Barry

Funny you should mention that Barry. Read this post from 2005 : http://ozfclass.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1856&highlight=#1856
I must admit, the reasons for wanting the international target at that time were a little different from what they were later, but I was never really a big fan of the championship/open target. And the change to the ICFRA target has undoubtedly helped F-Open, and will continue to improve our situation.

Alan

Barry Davies

#28 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:33 pm

Alan,
In 2009 you pushed hard to have the Super V scored full value for FO so as not to be compared with FS -- you had a change of heart.
Barry

mike H

#29 Postby mike H » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:19 pm

I am not a F/open shooter, but I have more time for their section of F/class, than some others.They do what they do,get on with it,put up with the ridicule of others,and seem to enjoy themselves. On top of that the best F/open shooters still score higher than F/standard shooters on the same targets. If the projectile choice was opened up,nothing would change, the top shooters in any class would work out the most accurate combination for their rifle,and still stay at the top. The only thing that would change is that the whingers would find a different subject to moan about. Obviously you can never please all of the people all of the time.
Mike.

TOM

#30 Postby TOM » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:03 pm

I think your missing the main point there Mike, its about having access to a projectile, one of which you are restricted to, but no one can seem to keep a good supply of, or any for that matter. Krakey obviously likes the bullet, it probly performs better than the others (for him) and being in his position I would be pissed off too. Put yourself in his shoes, You busted your arse getting your HBC or Sierra going great, then you ran out and so did the entire country because the company cannot supply, No more shooting for you, or it's back to the drawing board with another bullet.

If another option could be sourced and supply was reliable then I see no problem. Your the one being told what to use, so obviously it must be available, all the time!

Return to “Equipment & Technical”