Muzzle Velocity

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Woody_rod

#16 Postby Woody_rod » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:45 pm

Barry Davies wrote:HI David,
You are starting to come to terms with all that is required for accuracy, and you do need to bother because the local scene is just as competitive as the international scene.
Barry

Barry, how do you know this? Have you shot internationally in a recognised discipline?

Barry Davies

#17 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Yes, many times, and captained an international good will team ( TR ) before you were born.
Barry

TOM

#18 Postby TOM » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Touche Barry :lol:. Woody, you might learn a lot from those that have already done the job perhaps???

Woody_rod

#19 Postby Woody_rod » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:01 pm

TOM wrote:Touche Barry :lol:. Woody, you might learn a lot from those that have already done the job perhaps???

Probably. I will stick to people that live and shoot internationally in the 21st century.

Barry Davies

#20 Postby Barry Davies » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:32 pm

Woody,

I certainly live in the 21st century, are you suggesting that because I do not shoot internationally in the 21st century I am of somewhat lesser value.
Barry

bruce moulds

#21 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:41 pm

woody,
are you taking a "carbon rifle concept" rifle over there with you?
if they shoot as good as they sound the job is already done.
are you officially representing australia, or are you a team from australia?
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

IanP

#22 Postby IanP » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:17 am

bruce moulds wrote:woody,
are you taking a "carbon rifle concept" rifle over there with you?
if they shoot as good as they sound the job is already done.
are you officially representing australia, or are you a team from australia?
keep safe,
bruce.

I've been wondering the same thing Bruce! Except I'm betting Woody will have an Inch Action in his Carbon Concept rifle which coupled with his ability to understand 21st century shooting techniques will mean the yanks will probably keep him.

I reckon they will make him one of their own after he "cleans" every range with his skill and knowledge shining thru and doing Australia proud. Maybe a few of us should put our hands in our pockets and consider sponsoring him as its a certainty from the way he talks that he can back it up with wins at Raton.

Ian

TOM

#23 Postby TOM » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:25 am

The INCH is for sale! but appears no one is interested in just an inch.

Norm

#24 Postby Norm » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:59 pm

Fireman_DJ wrote:I asked a very similar question on Sunday (only for a 26" barrel).
I was told around 2800-2900fps.

The reason I asked is I punched in known distances shot against known MOA drop into my ballistic calculator for it to produce a MV.
And it told me I was hitting 3100fps.

Now that sounded high to me, but I used it's figures based on that MV as my starting points for the next three ranges (800,900 and 1000) and I hit the paper every time first time. It needed some adjustment, but I didn't add in the correct temperature, humidity, air pressure etc. so I didn't expect a perfect hit on target.

DJ,
There is a very simple explanation for why you calculated a velocity of 3100 fps.
The elevation turret on your scope is not giving you true adjustment. So the amount that you are dialling is greater than you think.
This is common with scopes like Bushnell and Clearidge etc. You must measure how far your scope moves against a known scale at 100 yards.
This will give you a scale factor that can be applied to correct for the error of your scope.
For known range target shooting you do not really have to do this as you can simply keep a record of the amount needed to dial up for each distance. But for field shooting over laser measured distances you will need to make the correction in order for your ballistic calculator to give you accurate output.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”