Cleaning - what should I expect?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

johnk

Cleaning - what should I expect?

#1 Postby johnk » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:57 pm

OK. I've fired my first shots since last August & need some help.

For the last millennium, give or take a year, I've been shooting the .308 (TR, MR & FS). For the moment circumstances warrant I use a lighter toy & I'm working up loads for a 6BR.

What surprised me today is how sooty the little bugger seems to got compared with the .308. The latter could run all day on a slurp of upper engine cleaner at dusk & a light attack on the scant coppering at the end of a series. This little fella cleans up copper free, but pushing out quantity of carbon. The usual Subaru slurp doesn't lift it & I've needed to give it a dose of Pro Shot on a bronze brush before it comes clean. Black as a nun's narsty it is.

I'm loading VV N540 because I have a certain quantity & because my experience is that Viht burns clean (relatively). Never been an acolyte of the cleaning rod. I'm not loading on the edge yet if you believe the Viht on line manual, maybe towards that according to the 6BR web site, but velocities with the boron coated Berger 108 are getting into the last half of the 2800s.

Am I still away from the powder's clean burn range, is it just because of the wee hole up the barrel or is there some other issue?

John

Matt P

#2 Postby Matt P » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:06 pm

John
Try running a little hotter and see if it improves, but in my experience the VV powders are a little dirty.

Matt P

Return to “Equipment & Technical”