.308 barrel 1.12 twist

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

runstewart

.308 barrel 1.12 twist

#1 Postby runstewart » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:23 pm

hi does the weight of the bullet matter like 208 gr or 178 gr
Last edited by runstewart on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Y

#2 Postby Brad Y » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Jeez mate you might need to a bit of reading first about shooting and reloading before getting into it all.

No offence but you seem really 'green' when it comes to shooting topics.

If you want to shoot a specific bullet weight then you need the correct twist to do it. Check on the prospective barrel and bullet makers websites for what you need.

In terms of reloading, I suggest you buy and read a basic reloading book like Nick Harvey's Reloading Manual to get everything down pat. Adding more powder when using heavier bullets is going to see you wearing a bolt in the face and that isnt good.

Also talk to people at your range about shooting and reloading- they will be able to help you out.

runstewart

#3 Postby runstewart » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Brad Y wrote:Jeez mate you might need to a bit of reading first about shooting and reloading before getting into it all.

No offence but you seem really 'green' when it comes to shooting topics.

If you want to shoot a specific bullet weight then you need the correct twist to do it. Check on the prospective barrel and bullet makers websites for what you need.

In terms of reloading, I suggest you buy and read a basic reloading book like Nick Harvey's Reloading Manual to get everything down pat. Adding more powder when using heavier bullets is going to see you wearing a bolt in the face and that isnt good. ok

Also talk to people at your range about shooting and reloading- they will be able to help you out.
Last edited by runstewart on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcinsa

#4 Postby jcinsa » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:55 pm

Yes Stewart,

Brad Y is correct.

Get yourself a reloading manual and read it well.

when it comes to reloading, every little detail matters.

The consequences if you get it wrong can be extremely serious.

You can't substitute anything for anything, it must be done by the book, until you get experiance.

Be careful.

Regards, John
Argue with a fool, and all the casual observer will see is two fools arguing.

runstewart

#5 Postby runstewart » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:33 pm

sorry this is a noob probelm 30 cal is not .308 or is it lol like to go back now 208 gr 30 cal .308 hornady 178gr

Razer

Re: .308 barrel 1.12 twist

#6 Postby Razer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:01 pm

runstewart wrote:hi does the weight of the bullet matter like 208 gr or 178 gr and do you put more powder for more and for longer shots or faster burning powder im using ar 2217 :P

:shock:
I seriously suggest before you even think of reloading that you get some one who knows how, to give you a demonstration.
Mean time, just to get a basic understanding, go to this ADI site;
http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... e/news.asp[/url]

Read it carefully, preferably several times, so as you understand that in order to move a heavier projectile you use propellants with different burning rates (slower) and less of it, otherwise you will exceed the safe operating pressure of the action.
Reloading is not a hit or miss process, it is an exact process and requires your full respect, not just for yourself, but also the others around you when you shoot.
Regards,
Ray.

PS: 30 calibre is .308 but you cannot use .303 as it has a different diameter, and I will leave that up to you to find out why as it will make you realise that you need to build up some basic knowledge before going much further. :idea:

runstewart

Re: .308 barrel 1.12 twist

#7 Postby runstewart » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:04 am

Razer wrote:
runstewart wrote:hi does the weight of the bullet matter like 208 gr or 178 gr and do you put more powder for more and for longer shots or faster burning powder im using ar 2217 :P

:shock:
I seriously suggest before you even think of reloading that you get some one who knows how, to give you a demonstration.
Mean time, just to get a basic understanding, go to this ADI site;
http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... e/news.asp[/url]

Read it carefully, preferably several times, so as you understand that in order to move a heavier projectile you use propellants with different burning rates (slower) and less of it, otherwise you will exceed the safe operating pressure of the action.
Reloading is not a hit or miss process, it is an exact process and requires your full respect, not just for yourself, but also the others around you when you shoot.
Regards,
Ray.

PS: 30 calibre is .308 but you cannot use .303 as it has a different diameter, and I will leave that up to you to find out why as it will make you realise that you need to build up some basic knowledge before going much further. :idea:
thanks i will get advice :roll:

Return to “Equipment & Technical”