Tubb 2000 rifles.

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Norm

Tubb 2000 rifles.

#1 Postby Norm » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:15 pm

Are the Tubb 2000 rifles banned from NRAA approved rifle ranges?

Anyone using one?

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:42 pm

Norm,

I remember a Tubb being used in F-Open at a NSW Queens about 3 years back. It was a modular tube type rifle chambered in 6XC, and I'm pretty sure it was a 2000. It wasn't disqualified then. Remind me what rule you think it may contravene.

Alan

Norm

#3 Postby Norm » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:19 pm

Alan,
I was told it was banned due to the need to remove the butt stock in order to remove the bolt for chamber inspection.

The butt is easily removed by pressing down on a release button if the lock nut is only hand tight. Once the butt is removed the bolt can be removed. The whole process only takes a few seconds and no tools are required.

Just want to know if anyone shoots this rifle and if they have had any issues with chamber inspections.

Also..... What is the ruling with chamber flags?
Thanks.

IanP

#4 Postby IanP » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:34 pm

"Norm"Alan,
I was told it was banned due to the need to remove the butt stock in order to remove the bolt for chamber inspection.

The butt is easily removed by pressing down on a release button if the lock nut is only hand tight. Once the butt is removed the bolt can be removed. The whole process only takes a few seconds and no tools are required.

Just want to know if anyone shoots this rifle and if they have had any issues with chamber inspections.

Also..... What is the ruling with chamber flags?
Thanks.

I seem to remember this same subject being raised only a few months back and all the inherent dangers of ECIs (empty chamber indictors) being discussed at length.

You will be told how the only safe method to follow is to remove the bolt, end of story. Who cares that the majority of the western sporting shooting world uses ECIs. You will also be told of the evils of tube and chassis rifles and the bad image and PR that is associated with these target rifles.

In short you will discover the world of shooting according to the Australian fullbore status quo and woe betide he who steps outside accepted practice!

Seriously though, one day ECIs will be used by all but not accepted for NRAA events as yet. Chassis and tube guns are accepted now but the bolt must be removed going to and from the mound. Slowly, slowly the winds of change do blow!

Ian

Aubrey

Re: Tubb 2000 rifles.

#5 Postby Aubrey » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Norm wrote:Are the Tubb 2000 rifles banned from NRAA approved rifle ranges?

Anyone using one?

Quite a few T2k's in Sydney - no problems for use in FB or F Class at all.
Aubrey Sonnenberg
Concord RC, Sydney
Accurise: Aim for Accuracy!

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:51 pm

Norm,

I can't see it being illegal from the safety point of view. The bolt must be removed, which may be a little slow, but doesn't sound like enough to cause a serious hold-up. If it took a few minutes to disassemble, then I guess it could unacceptably delay the following shooter's occupation of the mound.

So I wouldn't expect there to be a problem under the SSRs with the use of a Tubb 2000.

Alan

IanP

#7 Postby IanP » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:15 pm

Bolt Removal & Empty Chamber Indicators was discussed on this forum at length, look here: http://ozfclass.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3708

Ian

Sambo

#8 Postby Sambo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:51 am

There is one in use at Swanbourne for TR and it isn't an issue at all. It doesn't take him any longer to remove the butt and bolt than it does other shooters. In fact he is off the mound far quicker than F-class shooters.

There are also a few Eliseo's over here and again, no problems.

Triplejim

Tubb 2000 rifles

#9 Postby Triplejim » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:24 pm

No BUT folding stocks and removal of the butt from pistol grip back are prohibited imports and
Customs have only recently woken up to the fact that most Tube guns don't conform.
Further, NSW state laws don't allow ownership under a Cat B license.
So, the question is should the NRAA allow the use of prohibited import firearms on NRAA ranges
regardless if they were imported prior to the Attorney Generals Dept ruling.

chrsq

Re: Tubb 2000 rifles

#10 Postby chrsq » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:00 pm

Triplejim wrote:

No BUT folding stocks and removal of the butt from pistol grip back are prohibited imports and
Customs have only recently woken up to the fact that most Tube guns don't conform.
Further, NSW state laws don't allow ownership under a Cat B license.
So, the question is should the NRAA allow the use of prohibited import firearms on NRAA ranges
regardless if they were imported prior to the Attorney Generals Dept ruling.

We import the Eliseo Tube Stock and before we were allowed to import them we had to submit drawings and pictures to the Defence Department, Customs and WA firearms.

This week we received some stocks that had been opened by Customs and they enclosed information saying that they are still approved for import.

Chris
Action Clear

Triplejim

#11 Postby Triplejim » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:47 pm

chrsq wrote:We import the Eliseo Tube Stock and before we were allowed to import them we had to submit drawings and pictures to the Defence Department, Customs and WA firearms.

One of my customers recently had his removable butt stock returned to USA as it was deemed a prohibited import. Did your drawings show a removable back section?

chrsq

#12 Postby chrsq » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:10 pm

Triplejim wrote:
chrsq wrote:We import the Eliseo Tube Stock and before we were allowed to import them we had to submit drawings and pictures to the Defence Department, Customs and WA firearms.

One of my customers recently had his removable butt stock returned to USA as it was deemed a prohibited import. Did your drawings show a removable back section?

The latest package was unwrapped and obviously closely looked at however, as you have had this recent incident (and for peace of mind) I will inquire with Customs to make sure.

chrsq

#13 Postby chrsq » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:40 pm

I have talked to Customs today and they asked me to resend all the information on the Eliseo stocks This has been passed onto several departments and it has all come back as fine to import.

James, I do not have your phone number at the moment and am interested to talk to you about this. I may be able to help you with the import of the other stock.
Email me: chris@actionclear.com.au

Seddo

#14 Postby Seddo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:25 pm

If the AG gives you a ruling then you are fine to import them.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

Return to “Equipment & Technical”