cutting edge bullets

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

westernsky

cutting edge bullets

#1 Postby westernsky » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:26 am

g'day all, in the latest newsletter from sinclair international they had an ad for cutting edge bullets and after looking at their website they seem promising.
just wondering if anyone has used them or had any success with them as ive never heard of them before

happy shooting
theres no such thing as too many rifles!

Norm

#2 Postby Norm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:09 am

They are monolithic bullets so can not be used on NRAA ranges as far as I can tell?
I have used a lot of this type of bullet in the field and they are not ideal for extra long range unless high BC lead/copper cup and core options are not available.
They claim very high BC in a lot of these bullets but I have not found that to be so. The lighter CE etc bullets driven at high velocity have a flat trajectory but suffer from wind drift at long range and the BC does not suit the G1 or G7 profile due to the material that they are made from and the driving bands.
Better off with Berger Hybrids for ELR etc.

westernsky

#3 Postby westernsky » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:35 am

thanks norm, unfortunately i cant use those bullets due to my twist rate being too slow (slightly unresearched purchase), but was just after some info.
whats the reasoning behind not being able to use monolithic bullets? i was under the impression you could use any projy in f open?

Norm

#4 Postby Norm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:39 am

I think the mono bullet issue is to do with them not disintegrating like lead core bullets do and safety issues that this may pose.
Never seen it in writing but have heard it mentioned a few times. May pay to ask at your range before you ever try and use them just to keep in sweet with the range rules.

westernsky

#5 Postby westernsky » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:44 am

no worries, thanks heaps, will ask the question

happy shooting

johnk

#6 Postby johnk » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:12 pm

There's certainly been that reluctance to stop issue overseas, but I see the main issue with monolythics is that for the manufacturers that I've see used, the rhetoric far exceeds the field performance, the most notable being one wonder slug that couldn't be made to hold the target at 1000 yards. That's not to say that some perform outstandingly. Lutz Moller, a European ballistician of sorts has lead a team which has won championships there - see http://lutz-moeller-jagd.de/ .

Return to “Equipment & Technical”