another urban myth bites

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

bruce moulds

another urban myth bites

#1 Postby bruce moulds » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:12 pm

the dust.
how many times do we read of some wanker who will not consider any chambering unless you can get lapua beass for it.
i would suggest that most of these cockbirds have never done serious comparisons, and make such statements in order to try to impress others.
today i tried some unbatched winchester 284 brass, and if anything it was better than lapua.
further testing, particularly at longer ranges, will tell further.
i also read of many gimmicks which people see, and think they won't have a chance unless they have one too.
the problem is that while people are worrying about such things, they have no room in their heads for identification of basic fundamentals, thus leaving their foundations built on sand.
under this heading comes such things as having to have the highest bc bullet at the highest speed, big wheel additions to windage adjustments on scopes, trick reticles in scopes, and offset stocks.
keep safe,
bruce moulds.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

DaveMc

#2 Postby DaveMc » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:24 pm

wow Bruce - so bitter!

That really smells like it has been brewing a while - haven't you heard the saying - "better out than in"? Let her rip and get it out it feels much better.
Last edited by DaveMc on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dave P

Re: another urban myth bites

#3 Postby Dave P » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:34 pm

bruce moulds wrote:the dust.
how many times do we read of some wanker who will not consider any chambering unless you can get lapua beass for it.
i would suggest that most of these cockbirds have never done serious comparisons, and make such statements in order to try to impress others.

I have to agree bruce those fools who demand Lapua brass .. ha they have obviously never tried RWS it is by far the best brass .. blokes like us(U an me that is) only use chamberings that we can get RWS brass for right mate.......

aaronraad

#4 Postby aaronraad » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:07 pm

Yes Bruce...see the principles of marketing and what happens with an open market with unlimited demand...anything goes, if it still doens't work hire an expert and get them to publish information telling everyone how good your item is. :wink:

I asked a couple of F-Class shooters between Christmas day and New Years day whether they prefer high BC over accuracy. I was concerned about the slippery slope that is making high BC projectiles and wanted a better idea on where to focus my resources? The guys I emailed have spent a lot on equipment and testing; and are at the top of their sport. Their comment was 'Accuracy is the be all and end all, High BC to go with it is nice'. I admit I was kinda relieved. 8)

I guess you could apply that comment to a few other items like 'Accuracy is the be all and end all, Zero-Stop to go with it is nice'. :P
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

OuttaAmmo

#5 Postby OuttaAmmo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:49 pm

"i tried some unbatched winchester 284 brass, and if anything it was better than lapua."

Technically, lapua don't even make 284 Winchester brass, yet...
:wink:

Paul Janzso

#6 Postby Paul Janzso » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:11 am

Winchester Brass is lighter so it holds more powder which = bigger boom.
A 30 cal 190gn VLD is by no way a high BC projectile but it was very accurate in my rifle so I used that combination.

Cheers
Paul
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

bsouthernau

#7 Postby bsouthernau » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:30 am

Is there listing of innaccurate high BC bullets anywhere? I only shoot .30 cal and haven't searched all that widely but I haven't come across any yet.

Barry

IanP

#8 Postby IanP » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:51 am

bruce moulds wrote:the dust.
today i tried some unbatched winchester 284 brass, and if anything it was better than lapua.
further testing, particularly at longer ranges, will tell further.
i also read of many gimmicks which people see, and think they won't have a chance unless they have one too.
the problem is that while people are worrying about such things, they have no room in their heads for identification of basic fundamentals, thus leaving their foundations built on sand.
under this heading comes such things as having to have the highest bc bullet at the highest speed, big wheel additions to windage adjustments on scopes, trick reticles in scopes, and offset stocks.
keep safe,
bruce moulds.

Oh dear! another well balanced view of shooters who's views differ from yours. Now these people who dont see things the same as you are "wankers".

Whatever happened to that old idea that we respect others right to have an opinion even when it differs from ours. If people prefer Lapua brass then good for them and if you prefer Winchester brass then good for you, but just because their opinions differ from yours does not give you the right to belittle them and call them wankers.

Wake up and smell the roses! Life is too short to be an opinionated bigot every day of it. If you have a strong opinion on something then express it as your opinion not as everyone else who sees it differently is a wanker.

Ian

Bigotry defined:

Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot, defined by Merriam-Webster as "a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance"

Barry Davies

#9 Postby Barry Davies » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:45 am

Been tossing up whether I will purchase a new barrel or another metal detector.
Think I will go with the metal detector and join the fastest growing pastime in the world. Wonder why??

DaveMc

#10 Postby DaveMc » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:04 pm

bsouthernau wrote:Is there listing of innaccurate high BC bullets anywhere? I only shoot .30 cal and haven't searched all that widely but I haven't come across any yet.

Barry

Yes Barry - every one of the new age projectiles we have tried lately shoot outstandingly well. Some people just can't come to grips with the reality you can have your cake and eat it too. But as Ian said - Bruce is entitled to his opinion. His opinion is that we are all "cockbirds" for trying.
Let his mind be filled with these thoughts as (to quote the almighty himself) whilst he fills his mind with this claptrap there is not enough room in there for the "fundamentals".

"Carry on" I say!
Last edited by DaveMc on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OuttaAmmo

#11 Postby OuttaAmmo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:03 pm

Barry Davies wrote:Been tossing up whether I will purchase a new barrel or another metal detector.
Think I will go with the metal detector and join the fastest growing pastime in the world. Wonder why??

That gold nugget from around ballarat probably helping metal detector sales!

bruce moulds

#12 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:42 pm

paul,
you will not be chaired in for having the highest bc, or the trickiest scope,
but a rifle that shoots consistently well, the ability to hold and squeeze, and good windreading skills have made it hardly worth turning up to a prize shoot if you are there for more years than i care to remember.
i recall the time your penny dropped.
you stopped looking for silver bullets, put your mind in the right place, and never looked back.
when more fopen shooters do this, the sport will advance.
this is partly why you were chosen in the safclass team that went to mackay.
pity i missed you at lower light the other day, and congratulations.
keep safe,
bruce.

Matt P

#13 Postby Matt P » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:23 pm

Bruce
I'm obviously a wanker as I wont use a caliber that Lapua or RWS brass isn't avalible, I'm also in the process of making a offset stock, I'll also use hi BC bullets provided they group.
BTW how many Queens have you won :wink: :wink:
Matt P

TOM

#14 Postby TOM » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:47 pm

F class is for the poor sighted apparently, could explain why so many wankers are taking part.

bruce moulds

#15 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:57 pm

matt,
the first thing i will say is that you have probably tried it all, and as such, your opinion has validity.
secondly, i will say all the queens you have won were not won by silver bullets, gimmicks, or baseless theory.
you won by working up good loads that stood up when needed, heldem and squeezedem, and read the wind.
hell who knows, you could probably have done it with winchester brass.
you did it with a 6mm which isn't the highest bc, & a 6br which wasn't the fastest.
thirdly, i recall you being beaten by unbatched winchester brass.
from my own point of view, i believe my decline started with norma brass, and sped up with lapua. we will see whether winchester can overcome senility and other problems associated with old age.
keep safe,
bruce.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”