Inline Bullet Seating

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

BC

Inline Bullet Seating

#1 Postby BC » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi everyone.

I have a couple of questions and hopefully some members can answer them.

Has anyone had any experience with the Hart Arbor Press and Inline Bullet Seating? Is inline bullet seating better then using the bullet seaters on presses like RCBS?

Thanks BC :D

bruce moulds

#2 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:28 pm

bc,
i don't know if inline seaters are better, but the main issue is not seating.
if you size cases crooked, all the straight line seaters in the world won't help.
hand seaters are light to carry on aircraft.
if your ammo never exceeds 0.015" runout, in the real world it is as good as it gets.
that said, it is hard to tell the difference with up to 0.006" runout.
reading the wind will lose you a lot less points than 0.002 runout at long range.
consistent neck tension, and correct neck tension, is more important than getting better than 0.002 runout.
a fls die custom made to your chamber with bushings can achieve the sizing goal, while adding reliability to your ammo with no reduced case life.
add to this a redding or custom br 7/8x14 seater, and you will conveniently get ammo as good as you can use.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

BC

#3 Postby BC » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 pm

Thanks Bruce for your advice.

BC :D

RDavies

#4 Postby RDavies » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:47 pm

I use an inline bullet seater, not so much for the reduced runout, which I never check, but because it is more convenient. You also get better feel of seating pressure, in case you get a case which is much harder or easier than the rest to seat the bullet.

Brad Y

#5 Postby Brad Y » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:45 pm

Just had a wilson inline blank arrive friday. Sometimes its the easiest way if you shoot a wildcat chamber. $40 for a blank and get your smith to chamber it with your chamber reamer. Saves sending cases, and reamer prints and waiting for custom dies to come from OS.

BC

#6 Postby BC » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:56 pm

I have realised how little I know the technical terms with regards to Precision Hand Loading.

I do not know what a wildcat chamber is.

Will the Wilson blank be used as a bullet seater after it has been chambered it with my chamber reamer?

Where can I buy a Wilson inline blank?

What does runout really means?

What does "custom br 7/8x14 seater" mean?

Where do I get a blank for "a fls die custom made to your chamber with bushings can achieve the sizing goal" ?

At the moment I use a Lee Colette Neck Sizing Die which should give me consistent neck tension, whether the tension is the correct one I do not know. I do not FL size the cases. I also use a Forster Ultra Bullet Seater Die on my RCBS press.

PLease excuse my ignorance but unless I ask I will never learn.

Thanks for your help

BC
:D

ned kelly

#7 Postby ned kelly » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:40 pm

G'Day BC,
try to find a copy of the book called Precision Shooting reloading guide, it will help immensely with all the stuff from varminting to long range target shooting see local supplier http://www.benchrest.com.au/booksbagsbr ... nd-manuals
$35- Aust.
Best money you will EVER spend when reloading for accuracy. Taught me heaps! It sorts out the chaff from the wheat = faster learning, fewer wrong turns and ultimately cheaper to get going.
Cheerio Ned

bruce moulds

#8 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:35 pm

bc,
there is no stupid question, other than the one not asked.
a wildcat cartridge is one which has been designed by an individual, and is not available from factory manufactureres, or in a factory gun.
a lot of the improved cartridges come under this heading, by taking a factory cartridge and altering the body taper and/or the shoulder angle.
people love to do their own thing.
a lot of cartridges like the 22/250, 25/06,35 whelen, 260 rem, 280 ackley, are legitimized wildcats.
the perfect seating die for your chamber is reamed with your chamber reamer.
the perfect fls die is chambered with a reamer ordered to suit your chamber, often 0.002 - 0.003 smaller in diameters. there are also companies across the pond who will make you a die if you send them a number of fired cases. i think hornady was one of these.
i think wilsons have a website.
if you type reloading die blanks into a search engine, you will find several manufacturers. i think pt&g might do them. some guys in sa have been getting a brand which i can't remember, but are of great quality.
7/8x14 refers to the thread in your press into which you screw your dies.
runout is the difference between the axis of your bullet and tha axis of your bore.
this can occur with the axes parralell, or not.
have never used a collet die, but understand that they are good. as you described, they should give consistent neck tension. the best tension can only be discovered by experimenting and this is where bushing sizers are so handy.
hope this is useful,
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880

http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Brad Y

#9 Postby Brad Y » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:51 pm

www.benchrest.com.au Stuart and Annie are great to deal with. If you are getting a blank in a chambering that isnt available normally then I would also suggest a sinclair micrometer top for it which they also sell.

As Bruce said a wildcat is not a commercial chambering ie 223, 308, 6BR are generally available as commercial chamberings where my 260rem improved with a 30 degree shoulder is a special design chamber and dies have to be custom made.

Like you, I also use collet dies. They are cheap but work very well and produce some very accurate ammo. I use a redding body die followed by the collet die then a redding micrometer or forster benchrest seater for the 223 and 308, the 260 improved will be no different aside from the inline seater.

BC

#10 Postby BC » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks to everyone who helped me. Bye the way I shoot both .22 and .308 F Class.

BC :D

Return to “Equipment & Technical”