7mm WSM some thoughts please

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

MCLE

7mm WSM some thoughts please

#1 Postby MCLE » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:26 pm

I am thinking of 7mm WSM for a little bit of Fclass and longrange steel gongs have some of you had some experience with it and what are your thoughts please.I was thinking of a 7mm RM but was told that the WSM will do the same job but a little better to live with.Thanks

Paul Janzso

#2 Postby Paul Janzso » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:21 am

A lot of F Class open shooters have gone with the 7MM RSAUM and had very good results.I have also.
I have had no experience with the 7 MM WSM chambering but it is reputed to be a barrel burner but you could shoot it for 500 rounds then re chamber and go again until you run out of barrel. If you went with the chambering it would be a matter of keeping an eye on throat erosion and changing your bullet seating as the throat erodes.
Have you thought about the 300 WSM ? I got 1800 rounds out of my barrel and had it cut back and re chambered.
Back to the 7mm, a guy in the UK used the 7MM WSM case and reformed it with a longer neck, I'm not sure what he did to the shoulder angle, what he gained I'm not sure. You could search " accurate shooter" for the article for more info on that chambering.
If you go down the 7MM WSM path, I recommend you get your own reamer and gauges.

Cheers
Paul

PS there is nothing wrong with the 7mm Rem Mag
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

Brad Y

#3 Postby Brad Y » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:08 pm

If its only for a little bit of F Class, I dont see why a straight 284W wouldnt work. Plenty of information on them so getting one to work might be easier.

BATattack

#4 Postby BATattack » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:39 am

have a look at this as it may help making a decisions a lot easier.
http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html

the artical is probably a couple of years old but not much has changed with the 7wsm and .284 information. things have progressed with the 7RASUM a fair bit and there is now some solid load data and its been prouven reliable in competiotion. for what its worth in the end i went with a 7SAUM over a 7WSM due to the reports of very short barrel life (700 rounds!) without much loss in velocity

RDavies

#5 Postby RDavies » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:26 pm

I have a few 7mm/300WSMs, which is a necked down 300WSM. This case is slightly shorter, but longer neck than the straight 7mm WSM. I still recommend to newer shooters to go for something smaller as by the time you get a load worked up, you only have a few hundred rounds of accurate barrel life. What I do with mine is shoot them for a few hundred rounds as a 7mm/300WSM, then cut the barrel down and turn it into a 284. I still only use my magnums in the big shoots in long ranges and bad conditions. This is not a simple option for new shooters.
If it is meant to be primarily a hunting rifle, with a bit of F Class, then yes a 7mmWSM would be OK, but if it is more for F Class I would always recommend something smaller such as the 284, or at the most a 7mm RSAUM like the others said.
If you realy must have a WSM, then I agree with what others say about the 300WSM, a good all rounder for those who can handle the recoil.
(I cant)

MCLE

#6 Postby MCLE » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:46 am

Thanks for all the help one reason l was thinking of the 7WSM was it was a cal that l can get a barrel off the shelf for my DTA. The thought of the round count is a little worrying if I could get it to around 1400 or so that would be a little more acceptable but don't know if this is a realistic number???.As a caliber the 7 mm RM appeals to me as well but the round count would be about the same and I would have to get a custom barrel made.Have to give it more thought l suppose.Thanks.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”