help wanted , cant eject case after fired ?. 308

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

#16 Postby AlanF » Sun May 12, 2013 6:31 pm

Tman wrote:I find this interesting to hear, as I shoot an Omark as well, and had similar problems as described, 45g of 2208 and Nosler 155g Custom Comp projectiles and once-fired winchester brass, neck sized only.
I had previously run up some loads as above, with no problems, with similar elevation as the factory loads, which was encouraging as this was what I looking for. My only thought at that time was an issue due to excess resizing lube being left on the cases. On talking to some of my mates in the club their comment was that Omarks can be fiddly like this.

Hmmm. Was it once-fired in the same chamber?

jerryatric

bolt lift ect

#17 Postby jerryatric » Sun May 12, 2013 7:20 pm

ok , seems ive opened up a bad can of worms . firstly let me say that ive owned & still own several omarks with neilsen adaptors / maddco barrels ect . never had a issue till now . the cases are NOT new but they are lapua that have been fls , cci benchrest primers & 2208 powder - seated 10 thou off rifling -this is the load that 99 % of my 308 omarks love to shoot & is the most accurate from 100 yards to 1000 yards . i also ussually use 46.1 grains of 2208 - no signs of pressure on primers at all . BOLT head is stamped with a [[ 0 ]] which seems strange to me - all my others are not . MAYBE i should start at a much lower 45 grains ect but never thought i would need to . BRASS was not fired in this chamber previosly but like i said its now been fls - rifle is going to gunsmaith this week . LIKE today i used the same load in one of my other omark 308,s without a hitch - i do understand its a different rifle though - THANKS TO ALL who have given advise - IM just pissed off that people can sell me something that they state they have shot & used but clearly they could not have done so .. makes it worse they come from a reputable club .

AlanF

Re: bolt lift ect

#18 Postby AlanF » Sun May 12, 2013 7:56 pm

jerryatric wrote:...IM just pissed off that people can sell me something that they state they have shot & used but clearly they could not have done so ...

From what you've said it could still be a chamber that is tighter than what your brass came from, and the previous owner may have had brass that worked okay in it. So I wouldn't accuse anyone until the cause is established. The simplest thing would be to fire a factory round in it. If the rifle has an extraction problem with that, then its cut and dried.

Alan

Tman

#19 Postby Tman » Sun May 12, 2013 11:05 pm

In response to Alan's question if it was once-fired in the same chamber, yes.

jerryatric

#20 Postby jerryatric » Mon May 13, 2013 7:37 am

sorry i forgot to mention - i have fired a factory palma match round in it - with the same result . & i find ot very hard to believe it was fired as the scope base only had one screw securly holding it in place , the other 2 screw as where stripped & bases moved - my 2 shots at 100 yards had a spread of over 8 inches , due to loose / stripped base . palmer round was fired into the ground to see if it chambered / which it did but could not extract it from chamber . Previos owners told me they where hitting targets out to 1000 yards ! . LIKE TO know how lol. BUT at the end of the day i just want to fix the thing & find out WHY it does not extract , hopefully gunsmith will find the answer .

Razer

#21 Postby Razer » Mon May 13, 2013 1:59 pm

With the rifle being so poorly maintained the previous owner was most likely just as lapse in cleaning the brass that was used.
If so, then the chamber could be generously coated with a layer of accumulated gunk.
Hopefully you may just need to get the chamber cleaned/polished or, if there are marks/rings on the extracted brass you may need to get the chamber honed. Just my 2 cents worth.

jerryatric

#22 Postby jerryatric » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:17 pm

OK , ive picked up the offending rifle from gunsmith - they statthe rifle could never have been fired as had severly bad headspace problem . they have redone headspace & I took rifle to range - all seems to work good now .. SO YES I AS RIPPED OFF AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED . as seller told me they regulary shot rifle - . NOT happy . one good thing is I now have another new maddco 308 barrel that came with rifle - but one does have to wonder who fitted that new barrel ?.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”