Why does shooting in the rain cause case problems?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

BATattack

#46 Postby BATattack » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:06 pm

You have to be a pritty cruel RO to ping someone on something like this. . . . But id hate to be on the other side of the country/ world and try to argue the point!

I've got an umbrella with a large tent peg attached. If it starts raining i can just push it into the mound and it doesn't have to touch the rifle. . . . . . But no doubt there is probably some rules that im crossing with that set up.

Can anyone see any problems with my umbrella set up?

Barry Davies

#47 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:22 pm

Not allowed under SSR's

No deliberate screening of a competitor from the weather other than what is allowed -- ie a cover over the rifle action.

You can apply for screening from the sun.

IanP

#48 Postby IanP » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Barry, thanks for tidying up my input on covers but as you say it still requires clarification. Personally I think safety comes first and a cover should be allowed and weight disregarded. Obviously if its not raining or about to rain the cover should be removed to eliminate any competitors attempt to exceed the weight requirement.

ICFRA state clearly that it must be made of transparent material so the bolt and action can be seen at all times. If my memory serves me correctly they allow 1 square metre for a rain cover. The ICFRA rule makes a lot of sense and would be a good place to start to update our SSR's.

No umbrellas Adam, you need to make up a cover!

Ian

Barry Davies

#49 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:16 pm

ICFRA is the way to go For FO and F/TR --probably for TR also but will keep out of that one.
FS could be to ICFRA also with modifications with respect to Rifle weight, ammo, and the use of a front rest.

BATattack

#50 Postby BATattack » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:53 pm

in this day and age of OHS&E you would think that a clear umbrella would be allowed. keeps the action and hands dry.

is the range officer willing to take the wrap when someone gets a piece of brass or bolt in the eye??

Barry Davies

#51 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:22 am

Apart from that who wants to get many thousands of dollars of precision gear soaked anyway.
Maybe it's something that the various state F class associations could take up on behalf of their membership.
How about it state FC associations.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”