7mm-6.5x55AI for The Longs?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

ecomeat

#16 Postby ecomeat » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:31 am

AlanF wrote:
johnk wrote:Brad,

Those Lapua cases they're listing are the ones I bought (& regretted), lot P00620601.

John

John,

They are also the ones I bought and DIDN'T regret it :D . I used them at the FCWC and found them about the same as any other batch. In fact when I was doing velocity comparisons between Australian & US powder batches, one ladder ended up at 3033fps, and the primer pocket seemed okay next time I primed it.

Alan

John, I recently got 200 Lapua cases, of that questionable Lot # . I prepped just 60 this week (needed an extra 60 for NSW Queens). I didn't lose a single case necking them up, which has apparently been a problem for you. I have always used a 270 expander as step 1.
Re Primer pockets : I also got hold of 200 x Norma 6.5 x 284 cases a couple of months ago and have used 100 of them once.
I have to say that the Norma were FAR MORE inconsistent with primer pockets "seating feel". Some of the Norma primer pockets were looser /sloppier for the initial seating than my 500 Lapua Lot #POO620601 are, even after 3-6 firings on different boxes.
Tony
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

johnk

#17 Postby johnk » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:25 am

This is all starting to look confused.

As I said in another thread, I did try expanding up straight & in two steps. (to 7mm first) & both were unsuccessful for me. Stuart Elliott used the one step process with some new brass he had & it worked for him using STP and Imperial wax - both of which I tried unsuccessfully. I used the single step & got 6BR brass up to 30 with no distortion using STP.

Until you & Alan spoke, I was comfortable that I was managing the expansion OK. I'm still not unhappy with what I did, but as Nioa has the brass now, I'm stalled. I should have taken photos.

John

Return to “Equipment & Technical”