Standard deviation and groups size/pattern.

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Brad Y

#31 Postby Brad Y » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Take a good look at the posts following the FCWC success. In particular Alans discussion on getting his rifle working. From memory his ES and SD werent as low as I thought they may, but obviously on target something special was going on. On the second day of the individuals he was the best in the world I think.

RAVEN

#32 Postby RAVEN » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Brad
The less than perfect ammo I use in the only day I shot in the USA National comp had a ES 36 & SD 12 the other load I used had better numbers over the chrony but both loads shot well that is a real world experience that if it groups just go shoot it.
RB

AlanF

#33 Postby AlanF » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Yes - both Richard and I had a situation where good tuning overcame mediocre velocity consistency. A well-tuned setup is when a high or low velocity shot does not result in as much vertical as you would expect.

As an example, let's say you have a 180gn VLD, muzzle velocity 2850fps average, but one shot comes out 15fps below average at 2835fps. Calculating the ballistics, this should result in the shot landing over 90mm low at 1000yds, but if in reality it is still holding the super V vertically, then it is well tuned.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”