Does anyone believe these BCs?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Does anyone believe these BCs?

#1 Postby AlanF » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:34 pm

http://www.nosler.com/accubond-long-range/

By the look of the bullet pics, I think the Nosler marketing boys might be wishful thinkers somehow e.g. their 168 has a higher G7 BC than the Berger 180 Hybrid :roll: .

OuttaAmmo

#2 Postby OuttaAmmo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:52 pm

I have a box of 129gn 6.5mm accubond LR. Guess I could shoot, chrono mv, then reverse calculate BC by shooting at long range and calculating elevation drop. Or Harry could do it since he gets to the range more often.

bartman007

#3 Postby bartman007 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:56 am

Alan,

Grab a box or two, and let us know how they perform.

If they seem to outperform the Bergers then we'll see them in your scores. And that way we won't be relying on manufacturer created values. Maybe they could give you a few boxes to try, and you could write an article on how they went.

I simply use the manufacturer produced numbers of a way of selecting projectiles to try. When I find one that is super accurate I stay with that one.

Unless someone is shooting supremely better than everyone else, then why move from a load that works?

OuttaAmmo

#4 Postby OuttaAmmo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:25 am

I'm sure there was some 7mm versions on the shelf at Elks too

IanP

#5 Postby IanP » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:05 pm

Polymer tip bullets have always had the potential to have increased BC over the fully jacketed bullets, maybe Nosler have got a good design going?

I like the quoted G7, BCs of both the 7mm and 30 cal bullets. It looks like for those shooting lapua 6.5-284W cases in 7mm that their prayers have been answered. Its now possible to shoot 168gr and 175gr Nosler Spitzers with BCs at 180gr Berger hybrid numbers. No more case head expansion problems at 2900 fps+ with these beauties!

Just need Litz to test them for us to see if the quoted BCs hold up. It would be worth testing a box or two to see how they stack up against the Bergers.

Ian

bruce moulds

#6 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:14 pm

a trajectory/velocity test will quickly reveal the truth.
one thing is for sure, they will be a more reliable hunting bullet than the hunting bergers.
the other consideration is their cost!
tha way our dollar is gradually going south, sierras are looking more interesting.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

IanP

Re: Does anyone believe these BCs?

#7 Postby IanP » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:23 am

AlanF wrote:http://www.nosler.com/accubond-long-range/

By the look of the bullet pics, I think the Nosler marketing boys might be wishful thinkers somehow e.g. their 168 has a higher G7 BC than the Berger 180 Hybrid :roll: .

Alan, I've taken your question to a larger audience!

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index. ... =3834398.0

Ian

A small ES is good. A small SD is better. A small group is best!

Norm

#8 Postby Norm » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:53 am

These are hunting bullets.
They are being sold to Nuff Nuff hunters that are easily taken in by Norsler spin. Those that I know that have shot these particular bullets report that the BC's are not anywhere near as high as claimed.

However, as far as hunting bullets go, these bullets will be a better option for long range hunting than the older type of Accubond.

I have had great success with Berger Hunting bullets and Hornady Interbonds, so won't be going over to the LR Accubond any time soon.

IanP

#9 Postby IanP » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:21 am

A small ES is good. A small SD is better. A small group is best!

aaronraad

#10 Postby aaronraad » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:59 pm

Litz's empirical estimate for the G7 BC using some basic bullet dimensions is reasonably accurate, maybe +/-3% on average. I calculated about a dozen from Litz's 2nd book using his formula and it seems like a good starting point.

The Nosler BC may actually be correct, but they don't state the velocity range for which the BC was average over. Unfortunately there is no industry standard. Sierra at least provide some velocity data, but we still have to assume they were corrected for standard atmospheric conditions.
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

Return to “Equipment & Technical”