Donut removal.

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Steve N

Donut removal.

#1 Postby Steve N » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:14 pm

I have just received a 284 Win barrel and have 200 6.5 lap cases to neck up. I am hoping that the throat is long enough for me to seat 180gr bergers up away from the dreaded donut that will form but am not too confident. As I don't own a trimmer or reamer what will be the simplest way to remove the donuts. Can a Wilson reamer be used on its own without the trimmer or will I have to buy the works. If so what is recommended?

ned kelly

#2 Postby ned kelly » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:55 pm

G'day Footsore
I use the Wilson trimmer and reamers in my 6ppc, and tend to use the reamer that is 1 thou less than the calibre, i.e. 243", use .242". This cleans up most (90%-95%)of the donut and does not cut into the neck wall, on calibre reamers will cut into the neck wall and destroy those beautiful turned necks.
The Wilson is definitely THE best trimmer/reamer set up on the market and coupled with the Sinclair micrometer for easy set up, damn near perfect (FWIW it was nearly 15 years before I bought the micrometer setup, so its a nice to have bit of gear, not essential)
Hope this helps
Cheerio Ned

Brad Y

#3 Postby Brad Y » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:59 pm

Go the wilson trimmer and case holder with the inside neck reamer on fired cases. If you find its not cutting enough out, you may have to use an intermediate sized bushing to get the necks sized just right before reaming. Though if you have to turn your necks all you need to do is take a slight cut into the shoulder when neck turning and you wont have a donut issue. Going to send my no turn shehane reamer back to the USA some time to get a couple of thou taken off the neck so I can give the cases a light skim to clean up the necks and cut into the shoulder.

RAVEN

#4 Postby RAVEN » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:30 am

180 H seat longer than VLD's
Cut necks twice with a donut cutter in the Wilson turner you will never have an issue.

BTW when turning the neck you should cut into the shoulder ppl get donuts because they don't do that

RB
:D

Steve N

#5 Postby Steve N » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:55 am

Thanks for your replies It sounds like I better get a Wilson trimmer and reamer then learn how to use them.

ecomeat

Re: Donut removal.

#6 Postby ecomeat » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:02 am

Footsore wrote:I have just received a 284 Win ......If so what is recommended?

Borrow my K & M 7mm expander/turner gear, set up to turn to 0.013, and turn into the shoulder the way Raven suggested. Never get to see that dreaded donut !
:D :) :D
After 5 or 6 firings , if you have been doing a minimal shoulder bump when FLS, then you "may" need to do a slight neck trim so you can use my Wilson trimmer with the micrometer adjustment. :)
I will be back on deck at BeauVegas on Sunday after my 8 week holiday due to surgery.
Tony
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Norm

#7 Postby Norm » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:01 am

Tony,
I wouldn't help Footsore out too much, he has his sights set on whooping you with his new .284W.
It was only a matter of time until he went over to the dark side and started shooting F-Open.
He had a look at the "Blue Flash" and was instantly converted to the 7mm calibre. His stock may lack the character of the Chainsaw Wonder From Down Under but is along similar lines.

ned kelly

#8 Postby ned kelly » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:26 am

G'day All,
I've been Benchrest shooting 6ppc's for years and have always cut into the shoulder, probably deeper than most would.
Donuts can still occur, which is partly why some shooters ditch their 20 cases after a weekend (200 firings/10 reloads)
However, I always remove donuts from unsized fired cases if they exist, BEFORE any resizing as I want my neck walls to be parallel to the chamber as that is what you reference off in the Wilson shell holder. A sizing die can cause runout which may impact on your case neck walls.
Also I trim all my cases AFTER FLS resizing and trim to the shortest length case in the box.
All that being said I've seen BR shooters remove doughnuts in a match with a screwdriver and still shoot winning 200yd aggs! :shock: :roll:
Food for thought.
Cheerio Ned

IanP

#9 Postby IanP » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:37 am

Brad Y wrote:Go the wilson trimmer and case holder with the inside neck reamer on fired cases. If you find its not cutting enough out, you may have to use an intermediate sized bushing to get the necks sized just right before reaming. Though if you have to turn your necks all you need to do is take a slight cut into the shoulder when neck turning and you wont have a donut issue. Going to send my no turn shehane reamer back to the USA some time to get a couple of thou taken off the neck so I can give the cases a light skim to clean up the necks and cut into the shoulder.

I agree Brad, but I found that even with neck turning back into the shoulder you still need the inside reamer for ongoing case maintenance. My Shehane cases would still form donuts after a few firings even with the neck turning.

The 284W case neck length is short by comparison to say a 280AI so the ability to move away from the donut area is not that great. It can be done but I would still use a reamer to keep the donut restriction out of the case. Maybe I'm a little anal over this requirement but any restriction at the shoulder neck junction will very slightly restrict gas flow. A bit like when you put your finger over a garden hose. Most who leave the donut in place and have the bullet seated just forward of it claim the donut does not affect accuracy. I say maybe, maybe not, meaning that I have not read any report one way or the other so i choose to get rid of the damn restriction.

Case maintenance on the Shehane was my reason for moving away from this cartridge. Not only do you have to fire form the cases initially you also have to watch the donut growth over the short life of the case. Its a very accurate wildcat but it comes with high maintenance.

Ian

ecomeat

#10 Postby ecomeat » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:36 am

Norm wrote:Tony,
I wouldn't help Footsore out too much, he has his sights set on whooping you with his new .284W.
It was only a matter of time until he went over to the dark side and started shooting F-Open.
He had a look at the "Blue Flash" and was instantly converted to the 7mm calibre. His stock may lack the character of the Chainsaw Wonder From Down Under but is along similar lines.

Norm,
Thanks for the warning. I will see what I can do to him......sorry, I mean "for" him.
He has definitely been showing serious Dark Side symptoms for many months now, and then the bloody 60 he shot in F Std at Warwick OPM last year just exacerbated things.
It would seem he is fully ready to come on over. Can't wait to see his stock.
Regrettably I don't think he will be able to take any kudos for the "most agricultural stock in Qld", as Mark Fairbairn has built himself a new aluminum and steel stock that I just cannot see being beaten for the title.
It makes Alan Frasers stock look like a fully pimped, custom paint job. I am pretty sure it will make it's first interstate debut in Tasmania in March, if no more of his welds break. :D
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Seddo

#11 Postby Seddo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:55 am

ecomeat wrote:It makes Alan Frasers stock look like a fully pimped, custom paint job.

i didnt thnk that would be possible!!
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

Brad Y

#12 Postby Brad Y » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:11 pm

IanP wrote: but it comes with high maintenance.

Sounds like my mrs :roll:

Steve N

Re: Donut removal.

#13 Postby Steve N » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:52 pm

ecomeat wrote:
Footsore wrote:I have just received a 284 Win ......If so what is recommended?

Borrow my K & M 7mm expander/turner gear, set up to turn to 0.013, and turn into the shoulder the way Raven suggested. Never get to see that dreaded donut !
:D :) :D
After 5 or 6 firings , if you have been doing a minimal shoulder bump when FLS, then you "may" need to do a slight neck trim so you can use my Wilson trimmer with the micrometer adjustment. :)
I will be back on deck at BeauVegas on Sunday after my 8 week holiday due to surgery.
Tony

Thanks for the offer Tony. I was thinking I might have to use a chainsaw file to get rid of any donuts. FWIW my new stock is a thing of beauty and functional elegance. FO may be a little way off yet. Thanks again for your suggestions.

AlanF

#14 Postby AlanF » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:55 pm

Seddo wrote:
ecomeat wrote:It makes Alan Frasers stock look like a fully pimped, custom paint job.
i didnt thnk that would be possible!!

Things are getting really competitive in this game. A few years back you could lay claim to the worst looking stock just by being lazy and disrespectful towards it. Nowadays, it requires a concerted effort...

Return to “Equipment & Technical”