Flying with rifles

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Brad Y

Flying with rifles

#1 Postby Brad Y » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:43 am

Righto just a quick heads up for the folks that went to Raton.

Did you unscrew and take the barrelled action out of the stock, and also take the scope off? Can you take a scope on the plane as hand luggage so you can look after it a bit more?

After sending tubes with fishing rods over east on planes before and having trouble I dont want to arrive in tassie with a rifle case that has two scopes and a spotting scope all stuffed.

ShaneG

#2 Postby ShaneG » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:07 pm

I used a Pelican 1750 case with the centre layer of foam cut to the shape of my barrelled action with scope.
The stock was removed and fitted in the same case and I took a small torque wrench to reset the action screws over there.
I managed to fit my bipod and all cleaning gear in as well except chemicals.
The Pelican is "airline proof" and I have used one for at least 7 years a couple of times a year around the country and overseas.
We were asked to separate the scope and carry as hand luggage but I was confident the Pelican would be secure enough for the scope.
I did carry a spare scope in my carry on and they are specifically not deemed a firearm part.
Qantas sent us a letter confirming this and a local AFP officer sent me the regulation stating same.
BTW if you get the chance have a look at the way Ernie Mace breaks his rifle down for travel. He manages to get it into a case the size of a takedown shotgun case!!!
The Pelican is the only commercial case I would trust my gear in.
One of our key guys had an alloy case punctured by possibly a fork lift just near his scope within the case!

Return to “Equipment & Technical”