What are people using Gun Safe (Storage) wise?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

jasmay

What are people using Gun Safe (Storage) wise?

#1 Postby jasmay » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:20 pm

Ok, I am in the market for a larger or 2nd safe but its bloody confusing when you start talking more than just your $3/400 safe.

So, initially I was thinking of something like this.

http://www.axcesslocksmiths.com.au/wp-c ... 6x1024.jpg

But after seeing one in person and running a tape over I think it might be just too big :( Brendan Samuels (Mikes young fella) of acive safes was kind enough to help me out today for a look, and while I have not ruled it out, I am worried its just to big of a lump.

So, I am now looking at specific rifle safes.

I think these are reasonably priced at around $1000 depending on model, but I don't like just the 2 keys style locks top and bottom, do you guys think its enough?

http://www.cmisafe.com.au/images/safes_ ... el%202.pdf

Then the next step up would be this, but now where talking $2500ish.

http://www.cmisafe.com.au/images/safes_ ... nd%20H.pdf

Chubb make a 5 gun for about 800 and a 10 for 1200ish but they look a bit much for the price...

Ahhhhh I dunno....

What is every ones thoughts on securing our equipment?

Longranger

#2 Postby Longranger » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:28 pm

Don't be put off by the two key idea. Much better than a lot of the keypads around.

Big is good... I just wish I had bought a bigger safe initially as now I need to use two individual safes, perhaps that isn't a bad thing either. Mine are A,B,C and H approved. Prices are scary when your want good quality.

BATattack

#3 Postby BATattack » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:35 am

Just a thought .. . . What about 2 safes?

I have one big one that I left at my dad's because it was too big for my place so now I've got 2 smaller safes. They are easier to move individually and if you don't have the space for one big safe in a new house you can split them up and store your most used guns in 1 and the rest in another?

DMC

Safes

#4 Postby DMC » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:18 am

I've had a few of the common gun safes, they all seemed roundabout the same quality, I agree with BATattack, two smaller safes is a good idea, as they are easy to install and relocate. but to give you another idea, i stumbled on a place over here (Melb) that stored and sold other peoples commercial safes, these ranged from small to extra large bank type safes, even the large ones were only about $900, and with what you could fit in a 3 foot wide safe, made them a bargain compared to what you pay for a "10" but really 4 gun safe !

Moving the large ones may provide other hassles though !

aaronraad

#5 Postby aaronraad » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:46 pm

I just have two small safes, probably what you'd class as 4 or 5 gun units. I originally only had one but the internal ammo safe made it a bit of squeeze for long barrelled rifles (+26"). So the second safe has more internal height.

The safe's are legal but aren't anything fancy. House and room is alarmed with back-to-base and fortunately our neighbours are very vigilant with investigating and reporting security alarms. I must tell them to not go busting straight in and let the HCl + NaCN do the hard work for them :wink:
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

Return to “Equipment & Technical”