Chronographs

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Roy cobb

Chronographs

#1 Postby Roy cobb » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:34 pm

In your load development how important is it to know the speed of your projectile. Do you really need a chronograph and if so what would you recommend . The Magnetospeed V3 looks good in that you can its fit and remove from your rifle at any time while shooting but its a little pricey has any one used one and what was it like would it be worth the extra dollars over the more traditional ones.

shooter mcreid

#2 Postby shooter mcreid » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:46 pm

I have used the V3 and found it to be very good. Easy to set up and use. I didn't own the one I have used a few times but I liked it enough to get one of my own (currently in the mail). Cheapest I have found it is about $450 au delivered to your door from Sinclair international.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/shooting-ac ... =100014631
I have had a few of the screen style ones and was not very impressed.
I have always thought a chronograph is something a club could benefit in getting as they are great for load dev, problem solving ect. But not used that often. Just a thought though.

shooter mcreid

#3 Postby shooter mcreid » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:50 pm

Knowing the exact speed is not so important but if you're shooting past 600m then I would say knowing your extreme spread and standard deviation is within tolerance is important.

RDavies

#4 Postby RDavies » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:25 pm

If you only have one calibre/barrel, you will likely not use the crony too much. There are a few at Cessnock range who have the barrel mounted cronies which they will likely set up for you to use on the range.

Roy cobb

#5 Postby Roy cobb » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:58 pm

Thanks for that RDavies will se how I go there at Cessnock

Return to “Equipment & Technical”