Long thin barrel whip

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

aaronraad

Long thin barrel whip

#1 Postby aaronraad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:44 pm

Stepping outside the box anyone friendly with a golf pro kitted up with one of these:

They get all the kool gear like doppler radars and don't even hit the ball past 400y!
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

williada

Re: Long thin barrel whip

#2 Postby williada » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:30 pm

Aaron, great find. Hopefully this example will develop people's thinking and how important barrel fitting really is. You simply have to get the gear setup properly before you can derive benefits from load testing because it skews the results otherwise. Its what I have been rabbiting on about in a few points and explains the torque waggle more eloquently.

Brad if you read this, it explains my solution that I sent you with regard to that arcing group, when sometimes you have set the barrel in the vertical. David.

aaronraad

#3 Postby aaronraad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:34 pm

Apologies in advance to all the Australian golf pro's out there if this post just added shaft flex machines to the ITAR list. Just sayin', Big Brother is surfin'
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

DenisA

#4 Postby DenisA » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks Aaron, very interesting video.

aaronraad

#5 Postby aaronraad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:51 pm

williada wrote:Its what I have been rabbiting on about in a few points and explains the torque waggle more eloquently

Job done then! [-o<

I was hoping it tied in with your recent posts David, I just didn't want to be so bold as to assume I knew what I was posting about.

Besides, they're strutting around in cheque shorts and polo shirts, while I assume you have workshop scars and precise measuring equipment older than both of them. :wink:

williada

#6 Postby williada » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Aaron you are pointing the right way. :)

Brad Y

#7 Postby Brad Y » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:52 pm

Explains it brilliantly- thanks David.

So who is going to be first to come up with one of these machines that works on rifle barrels.....

Razer

#8 Postby Razer » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:13 pm

How much pressure could you (theoretically) apply to a barrel without distorting it?
If the chamber end was locked far enough into a lathe chuck,(up to the taper)and absolutely centred, then could a pressure pad be applied to the crown end, and, when rotated, the side showing the most resistance would be the stiffest. O:)
Would not need much pressure, just an ultra sensitive pressure pad/gauge.
Thinking along the lines of how we measure pressure when seating bearings on a bearing press.

aaronraad

#9 Postby aaronraad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:30 pm

Razer wrote:How much pressure could you (theoretically) apply to a barrel without distorting it?
If the chamber end was locked far enough into a lathe chuck,(up to the taper)and absolutely centred, then could a pressure pad be applied to the crown end, and, when rotated, the side showing the most resistance would be the stiffest. O:)
Would not need much pressure, just an ultra sensitive pressure pad/gauge.
Thinking along the lines of how we measure pressure when seating bearings on a bearing press.

...and how you measure frequency and vibration in shafts and bearings

...now you're outside the box 8)

Theoretically, don't apply any more pressure than the elastic limit of your barrel steel if you don't want it to plastically deform. Changes with barrel material, cross-section thickness etc.

The question is how closely does the measurement system have to replicate the actual live firing activity? If you can correlate the results tapping the barrel with a tuning fork, why smack it with a sledge hammer?

Cameron isn't posting because he's busy seeing if he can get one of his spare barrels to spin in a Vern Junke ICC Machine :wink: ...it'll never work Cameron there's no core! :D
Last edited by aaronraad on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaronraad

#10 Postby aaronraad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:45 pm

Some little neuron has started firing and idea about doing all of this in one of DaveMc's proposed ultrasonic barrel tanks :?: :?: :?: ...couldn't possibly work

you screw the barrel in, you shake it all about, you do the Hokey Pokey...

Return to “Equipment & Technical”