Jewel Trigger Failure

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Singo85

Jewel Trigger Failure

#1 Postby Singo85 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:47 pm

Gday all,

At the weekly range shoot on Saturday my jewel trigger failed whilst my daughter was shooting the 6dasher.
The trigger seemed to loose is crisp 2oz trigger release and became almost two stage. This happen after a round was fired (same loads from the NSW Queens) which required a fair bit more effort in opening the bolt. After closer inspection their was a small piece of primer in the firing pin from the previous case, could this be the cause?

After disassembly and re setting the trigger and completing bolt cycle testing, the trigger is back to its crisp 2oz break.

So has anyone else out their experienced a jewel trigger coming out of adjustment/failing.
Cheers
Michael Singleton

Cameron Mc

Re: Jewel Trigger Failure

#2 Postby Cameron Mc » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:01 pm

Mike
Have not had that failure with a Jewell trigger...yet. But a blown primer can cause that with any trigger. A lot of particles come back down the bolt and some into the trigger.
Cam

6.5x55ai

#3 Postby 6.5x55ai » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:45 pm

Yep, got a Jewell on my old Omark. It started failing to return and bolt would close un-cocked. Looked up the original instructions that came with it and son Jewell said they needed to be washed out occasionally with lighter fluid. Lighter fluid because as well as cleaning the mechanism is has a small trace of oil in the fluid. Went out and located genuine lighter fluid. Did as per instructions and it still wasn't cocking every time so gave the whole thing a huge blast with CRC Brak Clean and then the smallest of sprays around pivots with WD40. Never had a problem since. Because they are made to reasonably tight tolerances any debris entering them will cause grief, well same as most triggers. A friend also had his snap thru the top of the trigger lever. Jewell charged him for the repair!

johnk

#4 Postby johnk » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:51 pm

If you search the BR Central web site, I'm sure that you'll come up with instances of Jewell triggers going belly up after primers blanked.

Cameron Mc

#5 Postby Cameron Mc » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:03 pm

Jewell's are meant to be used dry, that is, best with no oil etc .
The trigger group is made of stainless entirely and the relevant parts are very hard. This gives a self lubricating effect.
Wash out with lighter fluid or shellite. No residue or oil should be left.
PM me if you want info on adjustment, it is quite simple.
I have heard some actions can overload the sear due to very strong firing pin springs. That is why failure may occur. I guess the maker had Remington style actions in mind when first produced. That is 2 lug actions with slightly lighter firing springs.
I have used these triggers for more than 10 yeares without issue.
Regular cleaning is easy.

Hope that makes sense
Cam

6.5x55ai

#6 Postby 6.5x55ai » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Here are the instructions for those that have lost them/never had them. They are really easy to adjust, just need to take care. (Although I have seen posted that some people should not attempt to adjust triggers at all. :shock: )
I have had one for around 15 years and at the time I ordered (over the phone) Arnold was still around I think. I then discussed with Brian what springs should be fitted for my application - sigh, back in the day's of one on one service!
Nowadays they still don't appear to have a website. :o

http://www.ada.ru/guns/remington/jewell/manual_en.htm

And yes they definitely say don't lubricate, just clean with lighter fluid after EVERY barrel clean.......
There is also a pile of postings on US forums of wiper fluid not doing the job and other snake oils being used to clean them.

And as far as breakages go I am aware of one action using a stack of Bellville washers for a mainspring that destroyed Jewell triggers.

plumbs7

#7 Postby plumbs7 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:11 pm

Yes I've had that with a laarge cal of mine (300 rum 98 gr of 50 mbg powder ) it was blowing primers because of another issue ! Every time it blew a primer it knocked out the knee joint out in the trigger . D lindsly gunsmith extrodenaire and club member pulled out out the fireing pin and found a heap of primer metal around the firing pin . D Lindsly reassembled the trigger and was all fune until i blew another primer .

I fixed the primer piecing problem and the trigger . No probs now.
Just sticking up for Jewell triggers , I blew a primer on a hot day in my .308 and it still functioned fine after that. That was about a 1000 rounds ago! Haven't cleaned it yet ! But I'll have to find time to do it soon ! Regards G.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”