More on Barrel Tuners

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

GSells
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: More on Barrel Tuners

#16 Postby GSells » Fri May 18, 2018 6:40 am

Tim N
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

#17 Postby Tim N » Fri May 18, 2018 8:30 am

We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

GSells

#18 Postby GSells » Fri May 18, 2018 8:40 am

sungazer

#19 Postby sungazer » Fri May 18, 2018 9:12 am

wsftr

#20 Postby wsftr » Fri May 18, 2018 9:41 am

varmintal has more than enough analysis of tuners.
The thing with tuners - shooters argue about which is better, when the reality a tuner is just another tool to use to get to a desired state, it isn't the only way. It has been disproven that a tuner will produce smaller groups than without. following the 1K BR guys they also have shown on paper that the smallest ES load doesn't necessarily shoot the smallest groups at 1000 yards.
When you select a tool like a tuner you need to understand why you are selecting it for use. If you look at varmintals pages its a pretty constant message that it can ASSIST with tune and help compensate for ES. As a practical outcome shooters have to look at the results.

wsftr

#21 Postby wsftr » Fri May 18, 2018 10:02 am

GSells

#22 Postby GSells » Fri May 18, 2018 11:28 am

I suspect that it is a dark art , somewhere up there with chicken bones and reading tea leaves !!
It’s something that I really love experimenting with and I also suspect , That I have no clue what so ever about the subject. But I’m having heaps of fun with it anyway :^o

sungazer

#23 Postby sungazer » Fri May 18, 2018 12:57 pm

If I was doing the tests I would do them for all the states you mentioned
" Personally I question the validity of needing to know the inherent frequency of a barrel that isn't in an action, that isn't in a stock that isn't being gripped tightly or not..."
I would also do so very high speed photography, use strain gauges, as many different approaches as possible to get numbers that can be analyised. I would be doing the same tests with tuners on, off on and set differently.
As other have said until you know what you are trying to fix and then how and why ect.
in a lot of the articles I have read the tests carried out and the conclusion are not really very tightly connected. I would say there is a bit of a jump to the conclusion rather than hard fact that can be reproduced and varied all while concentrating on the movement of the muzzle Vs time.

Gyro

#24 Postby Gyro » Fri May 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Anybody tried the Bob Green Comparator tool ? I notice they were spoken of with glowing praise a few years back but are they now ? Some might think I've gone off topic but i aint !

Gyro

#25 Postby Gyro » Fri May 18, 2018 1:11 pm

sungazer

#26 Postby sungazer » Fri May 18, 2018 1:30 pm

I am probably on the same page as you Gyro. Coming from an electronic background and test and measurement equipment I have seen and used devices to both tune electrical Harmonics and remove them with quite a few different techniques. A lot of what I have seen published to date has not used what I would consider good test and measurement equipment.
For me I need to see measurements, not projectile on paper results as they are influenced by too many other factors. Also with all these measurements a complete analysis and calculation of all the measurement errors and an uncertainty calculation to go with it.

!Peter!

#27 Postby !Peter! » Fri May 18, 2018 1:33 pm

I don't think the natural frequency of a barrel has much in common with the barrel behaviour that results in positive compensation. There's a reason that both varmitAl and Geoffrey Kolbe use finite element analysis to model the barrel's behaviour.

Gyro

#28 Postby Gyro » Fri May 18, 2018 3:02 pm

Audax

#29 Postby Audax » Fri May 18, 2018 3:53 pm

:roll: Bullet sectioned.jpgYa reckon a barrel tuner would fix this......a good quality expensive unit.....we will never know if it was a flyer.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wsftr

#30 Postby wsftr » Fri May 18, 2018 5:54 pm

Return to “Equipment & Technical”