Prize meetings

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

UL1700

Re: Prize meetings

#76 Postby UL1700 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:01 pm

bsouthernau wrote:I see three groups. Those who see club days as preparation for competition. Those for whom club shooting IS the competition. Those who just want to try a few things and shoot for their own amusement. I have nothing against any of these philosophies.

I started a point 3, rapidly moved to point 2 and am now at point 1 but with a fundamental lack of time :cry:

Trevor Rhodes

#77 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:31 pm

AlanF wrote:
tom1 wrote:I suggest that some go back and read Trevor's original post. Whether a prize meeting uses Electronic Targets or Manual Targets is not a deciding factor in why a large group of our membership don't or wont attend these competitions. Its the club shooters , our most valuable asset that need to be asked what will make them go to a prize meeting or, even ask them why they don't.
Brad Probert

Trevor is someone entitled ask the question about PM attendances. Year after year he's been travelling to PMs from one side of Victoria to the other, and its the support of shooters like him who keep our OPMs going. However, there's a variety of things that attract members to, and keep them in this sport, and for some it isn't attending prize meetings. In my club, around a quarter of the members travel to PMs, and most of the remaining members are content to shoot club days, and possibly pennants. I'm not sure how much we can change that. Maybe more would be interested in OPMs if they were changed in some way, but I think the sure-fire method of increasing OPM participation is by increasing membership numbers of clubs. You'll probably still get about the same percentage of shooters going to OPMs, so more of them.

If quarter (25%) of members went to prize meetings there wouldn't be enough targets . 10% alone or 90 shooters would if you split the state in half with out people travelling a whole day be 45 enteries with in a reasonable distance of a PM. 45 is a good number, push it up to 15% a lot of clubs would struggle, but a lot would enbrace it.

Trevor Rhodes

#78 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:48 pm

If a state range went electronic it would have to be Hexta. It would be a huge cost to the members even if a grant was involved in purchasing and setting up as the last levy was unpopular with none Bendigo users. Then the consideration do they stay at the state range or farmed out to clubs and recall them when the state has events. Who maintains the targets, the state (someone needs to put their hand up to do it) or do the farmed clubs do the maintance in the same standard that is expected by shooters at top level of competion. Transportion, who is responsible for delivery each way, damage cost, sensors and broken frames. Just to mention a few issues but it takes dedicated people to make an association run so there lies the biggest problem all ready, there's not enough members helping out in key roles or even taking on small jobs to expect ET targets to be in top condition.

Matt P

#79 Postby Matt P » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:02 pm

Trevor
I know your previous post was hypothetical but if the VRA ever went down the path of ET’s I’d strongly suggest you keep all the targets together and have a single maintenance schedule carried out by a small team. Having different groups maintaining targets doesn’t work.
Matt P

Trevor Rhodes

#80 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:38 am

Matt P wrote:Trevor
I know your previous post was hypothetical but if the VRA ever went down the path of ET’s I’d strongly suggest you keep all the targets together and have a single maintenance schedule carried out by a small team. Having different groups maintaining targets doesn’t work.
Matt P

Exactly Matt and like always who offers to be on a team, plenty of advice from people but no hands up with help. Can't stretch those that do stuff now any more than what they are already doing.

DaveX

#81 Postby DaveX » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:11 pm

HI all

just thought id add to this thread in the spirit of motivating attendances at PM.

This year at Explorers PM we are doing something a little different.

There will be three lucky bulls with the top shot of TR, FO & FSA all putting a shot down range.

DannyS

#82 Postby DannyS » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:16 pm

DaveX, And?

KHGS

#83 Postby KHGS » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:33 pm

DannyS wrote:DaveX, And?

It would be a first!!!!!
Keith H.

Trevor Rhodes

#84 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:44 pm

There is a couple of PM, they have a bottle of booze for the closes to the pin.

Jason72

#85 Postby Jason72 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Hats off to those who attend a lot of prize meets.
For me I think the entry price per day is very high compared to other sports.
I would recommend dropping the prize money because the people I talk to don't put much value on the prize money but do value the medals etc which I also agree with.
So if the prize money is dropped, which only a few benifit from, the entry fee could then be reduced which benifits everyone including those who will not be in the top 3 too often.
Cheers
Jason

bruce moulds

#86 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:24 pm

how imaginative - a bottle of booze
just goes to show what one can come up with when one thinks out of the square.

the old model is to promote that all entries go back in prizes as much as possible.
here in s.a. a club offered the option of donating your prize money to a youth development programme.
and some people elected to take their money.

bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Return to “General Forum”